Batterys and Gas Tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
Hi All,

In my 15' lowe jon, I have an area in the back for the gas tank. For the first 15 years of the boat's life, a battery for the transom mount TM and fish finder was right next to the gas tank, in the same space. We had one of the steel gas tanks that automatically mixed the oil and fuel together at the time, and never really worried about sparks or whatnot. We left the boat sitting for a time, and the steel fuel tank rusted out. Shame, cuz those tanks are about $125 new. Anyway, we've replaced it with one of the Wal-Mart special SeaSense plastic tanks, and have been running it for about 5 years. It seems like at times I can smell fumes, although I can never see any gas that has leaked out. I don't remember ever smelling anything with the steel can. The space isn't enclosed, it's open to the air, but I'm still a little concerned with sparks from the battery. My gut feeling tells me to move the battery to it's own area more forward, but I don't really want to give up the floor space.

Am I being overly cautious, or are batterys and fuel tanks in the same location quite common?

Thanks again!

Matt

BYOB Fishing said:
Am I being overly cautious, or are batterys and fuel tanks in the same location quite common?
Quite common? Yes.

Safe? Nope. The plastic tank needs to run with the vent open, or on a long run, you will gradually start to loose power until you get to the point at which it stalls altogether. Thus, fumes will be escaping, and fumes are heavier than air, so they will make it to the bottom. Now, when the boat is moving, generally these circulate out, and batteries don't spark that often, but it is not a risk I would personally take. Now, if the area was larger, and not crammed in behind the seat, I might be inclined to say it is okay, but on a bigger jon, where the space is usually deeper, and often tighter, due to bench seat and seat box locations, I wouldn't try it.

My gas tank is beside my little lawn tractor battery that I use to crank my outboard. I have my battery in one of those plastic battery boxes and I also have the lid on it, just in case of a spark. But I only use this battery when starting my Tohatsu..

cyberflexx said:
My gas tank is beside my little lawn tractor battery that I use to crank my outboard. I have my battery in one of those plastic battery boxes and I also have the lid on it, just in case of a spark. But I only use this battery when starting my Tohatsu..

Starting is when most fuel vapor fires start.Seen more than one boat burn to the water line because of it.I would move the battery or buy a sealed battery box.Most battery sparks occur when a metal object is dropped, or knocked, on top of the battery, and shorts across the posts causing sparks.