batterys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum

Reaction score
there a few diffrences in them, and I don't know them. so I thought it is a good topic.
we all know led acid type. then there are the gell type, and agm type also knowen as asorbed glass mat.
what makes them better than one an other, and are there charging diffrences, and life span diffrences?
and size and use diffrences? do thay still make dry cell type?

Here's some light reading on the subject you might be interested in. It includes some info on solar apps but has lot's of info on batteries.
https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html#What%20is%20a%20Battery?

thanks JMichael, a lot of good reading there, I came across an agm. motorcycle battery very light waight, and at 220 cca I was thinking it might be good for my trolling motor, I was surprised it came in at 8.5lbs, talk about light. I just hope it holds up.

That small agm battery won't last you long at all on a trolling motor. Take a look at the cabelas agm batteries. I've had a size 27 for four years now and it still workd great. For a trolling motor cranking amps don't matter you want to look at amp hours. The cabelas size 27 has 950cca and 90 amp hours it runs my 55lb minn kota all day lonh with room to spare. The battery you mentioned might make it 3 hours if your lucky.

thanks stevescotec02, looks like I have one for back up, and I have to get another , for long term use in my 10' jon boat.
but you only know i'm new to boating.

The only Lifetime Free Replacement battery I know of . . . cyclegear.com and their MegaBoost batteries.

Not trying to sound like a prick but if its meant to start a motorcycle it probably won't hold up to a trolling motor. The typical deep cycle battery used on a boat for a trolling motor weighs between 50-80lbs. Cranking batteries and deep cycle batteries are two very diffrent things. I use a small lawnmower battery to start my 15hp outboard and it works great but I wouldn't dream of using it as battery for the trolling motor.

thanks stevescotec02, I was thinking waight limit as a 10' jon boat like mine is at 350lb. and me at 212lb plus trolling motor then battery and gear.
I would have to catch and release, and me I like to catch and eat. this is why the waight limit is a concern, and if I get lucky may be I can be with in it. as i'm new to boating, I read how some are over there limit in other post.

There is some wiggle room in the max capacity...it's more for CYA. In our sue happy society you have to put warning labels on everything.

thanks cgaengineer, like you say about wiggle room, and if I can be able to cya. and be slightly over with my catch in the boat .
so I am trying to be light , and may be lucky to catch.

This is not to put ideas in your head, but just go give you an idea of wiggle room, last spring I had a 12' semi-v sears gamefisher. I don't know what the max weight rating was because the stickers were missing but I'd guess it to be something under 400lb. My brother and I put a heavy strain on the 500lb mark, I had a 4hp Mercury, 4 gal of fuel, a 30lb trolling motor, 2 batteries, 4 fishing poles, 2 tackle boxes, and a minnow bucket. And we were lucky enough to put anywhere from 30-70 crappie/bream in the boat on most days. We never got in any rough water with it but hit many wakes made by other boats as we went up and down the canal that lead to the lake and we never took any water over the side. So some boats have quite a bit of "wiggle room" on their ratings.

thanks JMichael, did you keep the shallow draft? the river I fish has a few branchs under the surface and to run deep .
I can see if I was at the lake where I might get away with being deeper draft and more stable.
but I will take it under advisement. and the 32lb. thrust worked well, I need to look in to a handle extender for it.

You would be well serve by a group size 22 agm battery. Weighs right around 39lbs and a 32lb thrust trolling motor should get 8hrs or so run time.

thanks stevescotec02, I took it out for between rain fishing, no luck in catch, I was about two hours, with the fish finder on and used the tmotor.
and it would be nice to be out longer, you know how is goes , remember back to your first boat. and all the testing what works with it.
I am in that stage, now and I do need some waight besides me in it as it was a bit on the rockable side.

I would not suggest running to motor cycle battery for a trolling motor simply uneducated decision. Weight factors of your boats capacity hitting the limit with the minimal amount and yourself , maybe a bigger boat is needed I always go to interstate and buy refurb deep cycles they are round 70 bucks with core trade in. My trolling motor is powered by a monster deep cycle for an RV only had to charge it twice last summer using it every weekend. Using the right battery will ensure you have a correctly powered trolling motor with a long nice run time. Don't waste money on undersizing just my 2¢

Latest posts