Battle of the 25 HP 4 strokes - which would you choose?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All e-tecs made Sturtevant, Wisconsin, south of Milwaukee.(Canadian owned)
Their 15hp and below are re badged Tohatsu's(they do have a 15hp e-tec but it's a beast)

Tohatsu(Japanese) makes Mercury,30hp and below; all Nissans(in N.A.); plus their own line.(4 strokes;plus a dfi 2 stroke)

Yamaha is a Japanese company.

I can't say anything bad about any new outboard.(except maybe those chinese knockoffs)
Go with your gut,whatever way,should do you right...

It is all in your head, and that is a good thing :) Very good thread with a lot of good info for someone looking to buy a new outboard. I will say in Yamahas defense that they were known for making indestructible 2 strokes but I do not know that there 4 strokes are on par with there 1990's 2 strokes?

As for the Tohatsu 4hp 4 stroke........ I owned a 2001-2002 Tohatsu 6hp 4stroke (same as the 4 just bigger carb) and I did not like it at all when it came to vibration. My 6hp twin cyl 2 stroke johny was far superior as a trolling motor. I sold the Tohatsu this summer because I just couldn't stand how it would rattle everything in the boat at specific RPM's. Well it always rattled to be honest and it drove me batty out on the lake after a couple hours lol. Maybe they have fixed the vibration more now in the new ones? I know my twin cyl 2 stoke is so smooth you can even tell its running.

I think you will be happy either way Evinrude/Yamy so go with your gut instinct so you don't second guess later when that E-tec on the guys boat next to you sucks up your Yamy :lol:

I would go with either a Yamaha or a Tohatsu they are both fantastic proven motors. I myself have a brand new 20hp Tohatsu with electric start and I absolutely love it smooth quiet and very very fast.

Speyfitter said:
So Yamaha for comparison (Price, Weight)
Yamaha F25 - $4012 - 172 pounds
Yamaha F2.5 - $1023 - 40 pounds
Total - $5035 - 212 pounds

Got a F25LEHA on the local showroom, $3549 + tax. Brand new.

turbotodd said:
Speyfitter said:
So Yamaha for comparison (Price, Weight)
Yamaha F25 - $4012 - 172 pounds
Yamaha F2.5 - $1023 - 40 pounds
Total - $5035 - 212 pounds

Got a F25LEHA on the local showroom, $3549 + tax. Brand new.
He is in Canada...things ain't cheap.

Latest posts