Bent prop shaft and no water flow... related? (solved)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I just need to work on the weight distribution.

photo4.jpg

H8jIiLFl.jpg

I've got a 14' alumacraft as well - I get up to 26 mph with a full load out and 2 people sitting on the rear bench out of only a 20hp, so your faster speeds with a 25hp are good. Key is to keep the weight in the green boxed area as much as you can - this is the section that rides in contact with the waters surface when you're on the plane (on my boat the blue line is approx where the water contact is made when on plane depending on how fast I'm going.)

Putting your weight forward stresses your transom to apply torque through the hull to lift the weight. Look to any bass boat design - the batteries, engine, occupant seats, livewell and gas tank are all in that green boxed region of the boat.

Sitting in the water your boat looks well balanced - though you'll know better than I where your load was when that pic was shot...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359965#p359965 said:
onthewater102 » 18 Jul 2014, 13:21[/url]"]
H8jIiLFl.jpg

I've got a 14' alumacraft as well - I get up to 26 mph with a full load out and 2 people sitting on the rear bench out of only a 20hp, so your faster speeds with a 25hp are good. Key is to keep the weight in the green boxed area as much as you can - this is the section that rides in contact with the waters surface when you're on the plane (on my boat the blue line is approx where the water contact is made when on plane depending on how fast I'm going.)

Putting your weight forward stresses your transom to apply torque through the hull to lift the weight. Look to any bass boat design - the batteries, engine, occupant seats, livewell and gas tank are all in that green boxed region of the boat.

Sitting in the water your boat looks well balanced - though you'll know better than I where your load was when that pic was shot...
It actually pretty weight forward now. The middle/front of the boat drafts about 6" now, it's about 3" at the transom. There are three batteries and an on board charger in front of the boat (forward of the blue line under the rear part of the front deck), two blue Optimas and a ultra light motorcycle battery for the starter. The previous owner wired originally put the one battery up there and I haven't had the time to rewire so I put the batteries there for now.
I am planning to hollow out the two compartments next to the transom and stick a battery in each. I figure that once I get the pods welded on the rear should easily hold them and the extra 74 lbs from the motor I plan on switching to. Without the extra weight from a 4 stroke I will definitely need to move the batteries back after the pods are attached.

Where are you located? If it's anywhere near CT I'd be interested in the 25hp should you want to sell it when upgrading to the 4 stroke

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359986#p359986 said:
onthewater102 » 18 Jul 2014, 15:28[/url]"]Where are you located? If it's anywhere near CT I'd be interested in the 25hp should you want to sell it when upgrading to the 4 stroke
Not close at all, Atlanta Ga.

So I spent all night cleaning up the garage and getting my boat 100% back together. I looked through a box of junk that the previous owner gave me when I bought the boat. It was mostly full of bent props, old fuel line etc. I never really bothered to look at what was in there till tonight.
So like I said, I'm going through this box and I notice a little white cardboard box at the bottom, I open it up and BAM, it's a new water pump kit.
I guess when the PO said he bought a new impeller kit he meant he bought it, not installed it.

Sure do wish I had known that. Ya live and ya learn.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360450#p360450 said:
onthewater102 » 22 Jul 2014, 09:04[/url]"]saves you $20 3 years from now...better than nothing
LOL, yup. It's the whole kit too, impeller, housing, plate and gaskets. I'm ready!