Best screws for going into jon boat ribs.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bassboy1 said:
island fever said:
From what I'm reading Aluminium screws would be best but are hard to work with, and stainless screws are the next best thing, correct?

Next best practical thing. If you just had gobs of money you could use some less common metals, which would be better, but for practicality's sake, stainless is your best option, short of welding or riveting.

I'm down for rivets but I dont get how you use them to attach the floor without going thru the hull? What is the approx. cost of sheet aluminium vs. plywood? I'm planning to do the framework in aluminium angle but was planning to deck with carpeted plywood.

island fever said:
bassboy1 said:
island fever said:
From what I'm reading Aluminium screws would be best but are hard to work with, and stainless screws are the next best thing, correct?

Next best practical thing. If you just had gobs of money you could use some less common metals, which would be better, but for practicality's sake, stainless is your best option, short of welding or riveting.

I'm down for rivets but I dont get how you use them to attach the floor without going thru the hull? What is the approx. cost of sheet aluminium vs. plywood? I'm planning to do the framework in aluminium angle but was planning to deck with carpeted plywood.
You would be riveting to the ribs, or the framework that is riveted to the ribs.

boater1234 said:
..........................a .100 gauge 4x8 sheet is around $125 and a flywood floor for me was $36 for a 3/4 4x8 piece of plywood......

That settles it no aluminium plate for me. I can get 5/8 Birch Ply with High Density Overlay and its Marine grade (Made for concrete forming so its waterproof) for about $50 a sheet and its much stronger than standard ply.

FYI...plywood is stronger in one direction than the other. Always run the face grain perpindicular to your supports and it will span further (sag less.)

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to get building.