BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' O/B Jet build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328310#p328310 said:
Mojo » Yesterday, 5:17 pm[/url]"]This looks really great dude. I like how you did the Nav Lights. I've already got a bow light for mine in the package but I may rethink that and go with something like you've got going on there. Nice work!

Thanks man!!

These are the nav lights. I went with the straight black.
https://www.oznium.com/super-bright-12v-led-module

And these are the interior lights. I ordered the premium ones, but they were on backorder for so long I went with the standard.
https://www.oznium.com/rectangle-led-module

I'm happy with both. The only problem with the nav lights is they are so tiny and blend in with my camo stenciling, I have to be carefull not to pull the anchor up over them, push the boat off dock and break them, etc. But so far so good.

Wanted to show you guys my setup for getting my boat in and out of my river access that my subdivision has. It is a steep muddy/rocky ramp that the river frequently rises over and mucks it up, so backing all the way down is asking for trouble. We use a winch that attaches to my hitch, and then the ball mount attaches to the winch. We rarely use the winch itself, unless it is real muddy or snowy. We basically get the winch cable taught with enough slack so I can back to the top of the boat ramp and my trailer rolls down to the water. Just do the opposite to get her back out. Whoever is with me can guide the trailer down and up super easy. If I'm by myself I'll pull to the top of the ramp, power up the winch and lower her down and back that way. Obviously don't need this setup at regular concrete ramps, but in conjuction with the pneumatic wheel I put on my trailer jack it works perfect for what I need it for. We did the same thing all last fall/winter during duck season and eventually broke the pin on my trailer jack. That's why it now has a 10" pneumatic wheel :LOL2:

IMAG0982_zps28ad6227.jpg

IMAG0983_zps0188b2b2.jpg

I think I alreay posted this, but this is the old trailer jack with a new 10" pneumatic wheel. The wheel has ball bearings at the connection point so it spins and turns freely preventing it from binding up when going up or down the ramp. HUGE improvement from the standard trailer jack wheel that we struggled with all last year.
IMAG0937_zpsf2a41f8b.jpg

Looking back over my work, I can't believe how much I got done in the last month. Things started out slowly with this project, but I got finished what I needed to in time for goose season, which was my goal. I felt like I was rushing but I don't think I took any shortcuts, which was also part of my goal. Still have a bit to get done, which includes:

- Finish tidying up my wiring
- Install Sonar Transducer
- Fab up and install transom riser
- Install motor and controls

I got my stick steering unit in yesterday. My buddy is helping me to fabricate and install a transom riser for the motor. But we are both busy the next 2 weeks, so not much will be getting done until then. But once we get that finished up I can FINALLY call this project done (except for the rear deck I want to install in the spring)!!! New goal date of October 5th to have her back on the water with the jet motor hanging of back.

Sometimes it's best to take a break and enjoy the boat. It'll give you perspective about what you want to do next and possibly some stuff you've done that you may want to change. Heck, I've been building mine since 2009...

Thanks Jamie. Once I get the jet mounted and setup right, that's the plan. We had it out most of the day on Sunday. Fished from above the trestles to the dam. Only caught 2 decent size catfish, but had fun. I only saw 2 boats up my way all day. One was an inboard jet and the other was an outboard jet. River wasn't super low either. Figured there would be more traffic on the holiday weekend.

The motor is ready to go!! Just need to find the time to get it mounted up and my controls installed.
att_137838375774734_zpsec06e7ca.jpg

Spent a little time last night cleaning up some of my wiring work. Had a bunch of stickers laying around that I threw on the underside of my hatches as well.
IMAG0986_zps49a23a86.jpg

Had the boat out most of the day on Saturday. My buddy and I went goose hunting in the morning, and got skunked again. The geese aren't interested in the river when there are cut corn fields all around. Then my wife and I went out for most of the afternoon to do some fishing. I ended up catching 10, and my wife 2. All small smallmouths and a few bluegills. All caught off of various spinners. We had a fun time!!

Shot of part of our decoy spread. Looked pretty cool with the fog still on the river.
IMAG0988_zpsa8066119.jpg

My buddy took this shot on the motor back to the boat ramp.
att_1378747823678120_zps360af61d.jpg

Tiny smallmouth.
att_1378747741244116_zps6f884ce2.jpg

Even smaller one. The number 3 was for my buddy. He caught 2 the last time we went out, so I had to let him know I was ahead.
att_137874777439469_zpsbf3f17ed.jpg

Me being a good husband and pulling the boat through some shallow riffles. Can't wait to get the jet installed!!!!!
att_137874775683913_zps1fb74409.jpg

My wife had a good time, and seems more interested in ever to go fishing with me. That's what it's all about!!!

I really like the asper grit, but I was wondering if your floor and deck still get hot. I am in Florida and my buddy and I both have problems with our boats getting too hot to touch with bare skin and have been looking at different ideas such as hydroturf and grip products. I think your boat turned out amazing and you have given me some ideas for mine but progress has been extremely slow.

Thanks!!

The floor and deck do still get hot, but not as bad as my rear bench which is only painted and doesn't have the Asper Grit on it. Something like hydroturf would probably be cooler, but also tougher to clean.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328810#p328810 said:
BigTerp » Yesterday, 13:42[/url]"]
Tiny smallmouth.
att_1378747741244116_zps6f884ce2.jpg

Even smaller one. The number 3 was for my buddy. He caught 2 the last time we went out, so I had to let him know I was ahead.
att_137874777439469_zpsbf3f17ed.jpg

Typical this year isn't it... Still waiting for the levels to drop back to normal. Supposed to hit 93 today so I expect I'll be on the water once the kid gets off school but doubt we'll make it up that far if the waters dropped.

My wife won't go with me anymore, said she can't breath at speed...

My wife won't go with me anymore, said she can't breath at speed...

HA!!! After hearing some of your stories, I can't blame her.

Yeah, pretty much been the story this year. When we were out hunting Saturday morning I saw several nice size smallies on the way back to the boat ramp. Got excited that we were going to be chasing them later that afternoon/evening. Nothing but little ones though.

The winch idea is freakin' genius! Do you worry about smashing the nav lights on trees or docks?

I had hydroturf in my old boat and it cleaned up just as easy as the rest of the boat at the carwash.

Thanks man. The winch is really the best way for me to get my boat in and out at my river access. In reality a simple cable that I could attach to my hitch would work just as well. But the winch will be nice for when I'm by myself and no one to guide the boat up/down the ramp as I back it in/out.

Never really thought about smashing up the nav lights. They seem pretty durable so far. By biggest concern is breaking them while pushing the boat off the trailer, pushing the boat/trailer around the driveway, etc. They are so low profile and blend in with my boat I forget they are there sometimes.

Good to know about the hydroturf. I considered going that route for a long time, but am happy so far with the Asper Grit.

Dry fitted the jet yesterday evening. Going to have to raise my transom 4-3/4" to get the front of the jet foot even with the bottom of my hull. We are going to make a simple transom riser out of aluminum sheet and angle. The bottom 2 bolts on the motor will be going through the existing transom, but the top bolts will only be going through the riser above the existing transom. My buddy recently got an aluminum setup for his welder, so everything will be welded together. Planning on cutting out the sheet and angle this week and getting the riser installed, motor bolted on and controls installed over the weekend. Can hardly wait!!! :D

IMAG0995_zps07d5593f.jpg

IMAG0997_zpsfc20f138.jpg

IMAG0996_zps2f224790.jpg

We got the jack plate/transom riser installed last night. Also got the motor bolted on, controls installed and remaining wires/cables installed for the controls, stick steer and motor. Everything seems to be working great!! Only thing left to do is drill a hole through the rear bench to route the control cables and motor plug through. Didn't think to get any pictures, but I'll snap some once I get the boat back home. It's currently at my buddies because he has some free time to finish routing/cleaning up all the wires and cables. Hoping to take her for a test run this weekend or early next week. The anticipation is going to kill me, but life is pretty busy right now.