Boarding options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmanvt

Reaction score
We have an 80's Sea Nymph 14L with a Johnson 9.9 short shaft. We have downsized considerably, and love just cruising around our bay and sometimes going for a swim. We were wondering what others use for boarding after a swim? Gunwales are only 1.5 inches wide, and we have tried using a hook type ladder with standoff extensions, and a rope ladder. Neither worked well, resulting in either more swim time or severely bruised shins. We were thinking of a transom mount Sea Dog Flip-Up Ladder - Single Step - 328908-1. We are looking for feedback. PLEASE, only respond if you have an answer for our size boat, nothing larger.

Attachments

• tiny tin.jpg
    tiny tin.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 363
I'm surprised that the hooked ladder with standoffs didn't work well enough ? Rope ladders are useless and the single small step in back is strictly for survival emergencies imo. the only thing that would work better than the hooks is a permanently mounted job with sockets to plug in. And it needs to be long... 3 steps under the water so you can gradually pull your weight out of the water.

Funny I noticed the safety stick on the back of my boat said that in order to board 1) shut off motor 2) step on lower unit. 3) grab top of motor

We did this thousands of times when I was a kid, never cut my foot on the prop but i suppose it is possible.

Because it's a small boat, when I step on the ladder, it almost flips. Beam is only 60 inches. I was in engineering for 20+years. The"hooks" on ladder are 12 inch diameter, where gunwale is only 1.5 inches necessitating 9 1/2 inch standoffs which hit the boat right on the rib.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Funny I noticed the safety stick on the back of my boat said that in order to board 1) shut off motor 2) step on lower unit. 3) grab top of motor

We did this thousands of times when I was a kid, never cut my foot on the prop but i suppose it is possible.
Does not work, 9.9 Johnson short shaft fin is way too narrow and high for my foot...and I am a 240lb kid. :wink:

When your weight is on the hook ladder it stays in the center of the hook.... but if it's too tippy on the side the solution might be to put it on the transom. If there's not enough room there for hooks you could consider a dive ladder with a bracket like this :

https://www.pactrademarine.com/ladders-steering-wheels-c-58/boat-3-step-dive-ladder-stainless-steel-w-nonslip-thread-p-1631.html

Whatever you try to use it needs to be long... You are going from weightless to hauling up 240 lbs... in needs to be done 1 step at a time....

Mount a 3 or 4-step telescoping ladder off the stern - see here: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45670&p=458307

FYI, you may need to add some type of 'block' so that when the ladder is deployed, the steps kick out a bit away from the stern, you don't want them leaning down in towards the boat, know what I mean? At least vertical, or tilted to the rear is best. And a good TIP is to add grab handles on the tops of the gunnels, so you have something to hold.

Swim1.jpg

That is real important ! My last boat had a ladder like that. When deployed & you tried to use it, your legs went UNDER the boat, making it nearly impossible for a fat guy to climb back in the boat. I have seen some aftermarket ladders that have little stand off posts that prevent the ladder from tucking under the transom..

DaleH said:
Mount a 3 or 4-step telescoping ladder off the stern - see here: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45670&p=458307

FYI, you may need to add some type of 'block' so that when the ladder is deployed, the steps kick out a bit away from the stern, you don't want them leaning down in towards the boat, know what I mean? At least vertical, or tilted to the rear is best. And a good TIP is to add grab handles on the tops of the gunnels, so you have something to hold.

Swim1.jpg

This one has the stand-off's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopic-3-Steps-Boat-Ladder-Stainless-Steel-Folding-2-1-Steps-Pontoon-Ladder/174207629818?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D228413%26meid%3D14bdfcf0fa9146339b7da0198aaaab6e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D173233632245%26itm%3D174207629818%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotionHighArw&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Latest posts