Boat nose plowing water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
27" is standard height for a jet transom. You should be able to raise it and drill new mounting holes.

It works best if you have a hoist to support it. Cut 2 2.5" blocks out of a 2x4 and put them between top of transom and motor bracket, that should give you 29.5" from bottom of the hull to the top of the motor bracket. That should line in up with the pin, check with straight edge before drilling. 1/2" drill bit for holes. You can fill the old ones with quicksteel or something comparable.

I used a floor jack to raise mine, it is harder but will work.

Okay. Should the front pins be level with the bottom of the boat or can it be a little higher? And I have a aluminum spool gun I could maybe weld the old holes with that.

Front pin about level, you almost have to have a perfect bottom to go any higher. Mine ran ok a little higher but got too much cavitation in chop and waves, so lined up with the pin worked best. The main thing is you want the edge to hit somewhere under the lip, not even or above. This is where mine is now after moving it 3 times to find the sweet spot.

Attachments

• 20140902_193011.jpg
    20140902_193011.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 351
How about some pictures of it running? So much goes into decent performance I think were are looking at trees instead of the forest.

Okay so I was told the boat had a 27inch transom. Me being at work the other day when you asked I said 27. Well the top of the transom is actually 25 inches. Then the motor brackets sit up 2 inches higher than that. Here is a few pictures. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409788766.510070.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409788784.420763.jpg

Since you have an aluminum spool gun it should be fairly easy to build a 2 inch riser on top of the transom. That will get you the 27" needed with extra support. Then remount for the correct height.

I don't think motor height is your problem id your boat struggles to get on plane. Raising it an inch is not going to give you miracle results. I'm with Ranchero....we need to see what it's doing.

Do you still have the whale tail on it? That might be causing it to push down too much and plow. I have a Lowe 1652 tunnel with a Merc 60/45 jet and I had to put transom wedges in to keep it from porpoising so i had the opposite problem. They told me the whale tail doesn't work with a tunnel setup and I still had to add weight up front even with the wedges. I wonder if the whale tail is too much.

Well it has done it since I got the boat a year ago. I just put the whale tail on a couple weeks ago along with the resharpened impellar and it hops right on plane now but it still is plowing. All the weight is in the back of the boat. Battery, gas tanks, and seats. It doesn't plow as bad when there is two people in back but still does it a little bit.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364717#p364717 said:
River runner » 28 Aug 2014, 09:07[/url]"]
Pic did not repost, first pic you posted on Aug, 28
I went back and started at the beginning. In this pic, what is the area on the bottom of the hull in the center left? Is that a tunnel or is that damage that has been repaired? I never seen you mention tunnel anywhere and if it is not that area is causing major disruption of clean water to the intake. If I am correct on this you are getting a ton of spray and water is going over the shoe, around the pump, hitting the transom and shooting down further disrupting the clean water flow.

You also if possible need to get some weight forward to balance it out.

With a whaletail you have to trim out to near level while running on plane, by design they help with porpoising. If you keep the motor tucked under while on plane it will force the bow down causing it to plow and the increased pressure will make it harder to steer.

I looked at your pics on the computer and was able to zoom in to get a good look. You have enough room to drill new holes without adding anything to raise it.

Latest posts