Bottom Worn Out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticCat500

Reaction score
Has anyone any thoughts on how I can reinforce the bottom of my 10ft jon..the boat is an 78 Sears and everything else is very solid, with no leaky rivits and no major damage. The back of the jb has been worn down a bit and shows some leaking, I filled the inside of the boat in the back with JB Weld and shes really solid and holds water, I'd like to come up with a way to keep the bottom from wearing out prematurely. Thanks

Steelflex.

Used on the bottoms of mud and air boats to stop abrasion and wear.

Surface prep is key in installation.

https://www.fascoepoxies.com/

TRY GLUVIT FROM MARINETEX OR FROM AMAZING EPOXYS BOTTOM PAINT EPOXY. CHECK WEST MARINE. BOTH PROTECT AND SEAL THE BOTTOM.

I second Quackrstackr's steelflex suggestion. I put this on my 30 yr old jon. See my thread from the Spring.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1745&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

Ouachita said:
I second Quackrstackr's steelflex suggestion. I put this on my 30 yr old jon. See my thread from the Spring.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1745&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40
did you order it from them? how is it holding up? and the million dollar question...how much?
Thanks guys.

Steelflex from Fasco is definitely the way to go. You can get a quart to cover the bottom of your jonboat shipped for around $30. You will either have to send them a check and then they will mail it to you or can get it C.O.D. They don't take credit cards. They are really nice to do business with and will take the time to walk you through the process if you need help. I have actually purchased from them twice. They are limited on their colors, but it is an awesome product.

well I just got of the phone with Gerry and he helped me with my needs, I'll be returning the call 2moro and placing an order for the product....I may go with 2 quarts so I can doit a little heavier and right the first time.
Thanks Guys.....

I'd weld a patch on it, larger than the leaky area. If it's thin there it's thin elsewhere. You're just gonna end-up chasing leaks.

ST

I really like the sounds of this Flex Steel product. I have a really big jon boat that I am sure I couldn't flip over to paint, because I don't want to remove the 115HP I just put on. If I could devise a way to lift the boat, could the coating be sprayed or rolled on while the boat is raised? So basically...painting upside down.

I know I would have to sand blast it first.

SlimeTime said:
I'd weld a patch on it, larger than the leaky area. If it's thin there it's thin elsewhere. You're just gonna end-up chasing leaks.

ST

the jb weld l applied is real thick, l filled the v grooves in the back of the boat flush and about 4 to 5 inches in lenght, lt's going to take a while to wear through it, and this stuff is pretty tuff, these guys run airboats over asphalt, lm sure it'll wear down eventually but dragging it over a boat ramp once n awhile I doubt will kill it.....Im going to give it a try. lt's $16 a quart and it'll cover 30 sq ft, Im going to double the application to make it thicker. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks for all the help.

I just bought some Steelflex original to paint a keel guard on my boat. I decided against painting the whole bottom since I am usually on open water. $35 for the paint vs. $130 on ebay for a KeelGuard brand "sticker".

Make sure you get two or three 1/8" nap rollers specifically made for applying epoxy. I picked up mine from Lowes. I tried to get Gerry to sell me some but he was afraid they would get messed up in the box on delivery.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was kinda wondering what I should use. Could I just use a few cheap-o brushes and throw them away when I'm done?

hatch17 said:
Make sure you get two or three 1/8" nap rollers specifically made for applying epoxy. I picked up mine from Lowes. I tried to get Gerry to sell me some but he was afraid they would get messed up in the box on delivery.
Thanks for that heads up...I was going to use foam brushes...I've painted tones of stuff with em n I love em...This is a pic of the start....this took about 10 mins with a wire brush on my cordless...figure it'll take bout an hour to do it all.
boat.jpg

TOTONKA said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I was kinda wondering what I should use. Could I just use a few cheap-o brushes and throw them away when I'm done?

I tried the foam brush and cheap foam roller route the first time I use the Steel Flex. They don't hold up too well. The rollers made for epoxy were awesome and everything went on a lot more evenly.

I have asked around about epoxy roller covers but haven't found anything. What makes them different than a 1/8" nap paint roller?