Building a network, want to make sure Im not missing somthin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers954

Reaction score
Ok so on my 1978 Hustler pro I am getting ready to finish up my electrical add-ons for the new lowrance units I'm putting in. Electrical is definitely not my strong skill, I have no problems wiring things up that's easy for me to get right, I just want to make sure I am building a network that is safe (wont destroy my electronics) and functional. All of this is only temporary until this fall when the boat is getting gutted and a full deck build is on the drawing plans so my electrical will be redone and everything will be routed and hidden all pretty like. So I have 2 lowrance HDS 7's connected on a NMEA 2000 network, I just bought a blue seas systems ST Blade fuse block with 12 circuits, and I am thinking about adding a perko switch because I am being told that the NMEA 2000 will draw power even when the units themselves are turned off. So basically I will try to build a flow path of what I have and if I am missing something please let me know

Battery - 12 AWG Wire - Perko switch - 12 AWG wire - ST Blade fuse block - 3 wires running off of block all on 3amp fuses (1, NMEA Cable 2, Lowrance HDS7 at console 3, Lowrance HDS7 at bow.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks

I don't know why you'd need a perko switch. I'd just run from the battery to the gang switches and from there I'd run the NMEA 2000 off one of the low amp switches. The Lowrance units should have their own fuses to protect them, I believe it's a 3 amp fuse for those units. You could run both of those units off another low amp switch so they could have their own power source. The NMEA just allows the units to talk to the other systems on your boat, i.e, the engine, trolling motor, etc..

Latest posts