Buying a used outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is having to use starter fluid to start the engine a sign of something other than the carb needing cleaned, a kit installed or replacing the carb?

[-X Never use starter fluid in a 2 stroke motor, these style of motors require the lubricant to be mixed with the fuel. Use pre mix in a spray bottle.

Valco12 said:
Thanks everyone. I still haven't found anything yet. I almost pulled the trigger on a 1988 honda BF100 for $550 but decided to wait and keep looking. There are a ton of 1980's Honda BF75 and BF100's on Craigslist right now between $500 and $700. This could either be a good or a bad thing.

Also, there are very few 1980's and newer 10-15 hp Johnson/Evinrudes on craigslist. There must be a reason for this and after hearing what most of you have to say I think I should hold out until I find a 15 horse that looks like it is still in great shape.

Do the Mid to late 1980's 9.9's and 15 hp motors from Johnson/Evinrude weight the same? If so I should probably just wait to find a 15 hp over a 9.9 that weights the same with a 1/3 less power.

Anyways, Hopefully something comes up before salmon season this summer but at least until then this old motor will get me around to fish the lakes this spring.

Those mid 80's 9.9 and 15 HP Johnson/Rudes ARE the same engine. The Carb is different on the 15's.

I like what one gentleman said below - if you have to buy a complete rig with the right motor on it, then sell the boat and trailer. There's a decent market for this setup as some folks just want to putt around with a TM.

I recently found an 82 Johnson 15 HP on Criagslist. Got em down to $200! Needs some work but I'll get it running.

CMOS