Cable Routing of External Sonar on Electric Steer Bowmount Trolling Motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
Wondering what other have found successful to prevent cable from getting caught up in mechanisms, when stowing/deploying?

On m MG Wireless, I used a large spring and routing way infront, and worked fairly well (see pictures). Even so, I opted for the built-in sonar with the MG Xi-3. We fish mainly shallow water, and don't need SI/DI. I'm curious how others may have solved this.

Attachments

• TM013.jpg
    TM013.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • TM011.jpg
    TM011.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TM009.jpg
    TM009.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • TM006.jpg
    TM006.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
I hate to be pessimistic, but I tried without satisfaction to add a transducer to my bow-mount TM. The goal was to use my old Lowrance Elite 4 DSI at the front of the boat. There's a new H-Bird Helix 7 in the back of the boat.

My first try was to use the integral US2 sonar built into my Powerdrive TM. However, it's not compatible with my Lowrance unit which needed a downscan capable transducer. The US2 is 2D sonar only. So, I decided to mount the Lowrance's transducer to the TM motor housing

I watched countless YouTube vids.

I bought a mounting bracket and clamped it into place up front.

I tried to put the cable into a pre-coiled plastic hose to reduce risk of damage to the Lowrance cable. I tried multiple ways of routing that cable.

There simply was no reliable way to keep that external cable from fouling on something the way my boat is set up. It was made all the more difficult because of the spot lock capability and the tendency in certain conditions to for spot-lock to wrap external cables around the shaft.

I gave up and converted my excess Lowrance fish finder to a portable unit that is easily moved from boat to boat. If I want it up front in my boat, I have a mounting bracket that will clamp onto the boat. If I want to haul that portable unit to Canada where we rent boats at the lodge, then I can use it there, too.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I tried without satisfaction to add a transducer to my bow-mount TM. The goal was to use my old Lowrance Elite 4 DSI at the front of the boat. There's a new H-Bird Helix 7 in the back of the boat.

My first try was to use the integral US2 sonar built into my Powerdrive TM. However, it's not compatible with my Lowrance unit which needed a downscan capable transducer. The US2 is 2D sonar only. So, I decided to mount the Lowrance's transducer to the TM motor housing

I watched countless YouTube vids.

I bought a mounting bracket and clamped it into place up front.

I tried to put the cable into a pre-coiled plastic hose to reduce risk of damage to the Lowrance cable. I tried multiple ways of routing that cable.

There simply was no reliable way to keep that external cable from fouling on something the way my boat is set up. It was made all the more difficult because of the spot lock capability and the tendency in certain conditions to for spot-lock to wrap external cables around the shaft.

I gave up and converted my excess Lowrance fish finder to a portable unit that is easily moved from boat to boat. If I want it up front in my boat, I have a mounting bracket that will clamp onto the boat. If I want to haul that portable unit to Canada where we rent boats at the lodge, then I can use it there, too.

The Wireless does not have GPS, so if it wrapped, it was the idiot operator. ;) The spring and slack in cable prevented damage when that occurred.

When on high speed, the cable did add some additional noise, as the water cavitated behind it.

I’d be happy if my Terrova didn’t have a transducer. It would be one less cable to get tangled. I’ve considered cutting the transducer cable on a few occasions.

The front transducer does come in handy occasionally