Carb problem.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to make this short as possible. Disassembled and inspected. Everything appeared right and matched up with the photos posted and made suggestions made. Blew into the gas inlet and was unable to open the valve. Reinstalled the carb and disconnected the pulse line. That stopped the flooding when I pulled the starter, but gas still ran out the carb intake when I opened the high speed mxture valve any at all. Fittinunally, I raised the tank above motor level to set up a gravity feed. After doing so, gas tank continously out the carb intake even with the high speed needle fully seated. The float valve is supposed to control that or there is a crack in the body I'm not seeing. Think I will pull the carb again tomorrow ( getting real good at that) and reinstall the old float and valve assembly.

Gas coming out when the high speed needle is opened is telling you that the float bowl is overflowing. The float is not closing the valve.

Did you try blowing into the fuel line when the bowl was attached and the carb upside down ? Are you certain the float is not binding somewhere on the bowl or gasket so that it can't rise all the way up ?

Another thing to check. Is that thick sponge washer correctly positioned around the end of the main jet ? #72 ....

So that it will make a seal between the main jet and the bowl when the bowl is attached ?

Yes, I did blow into the fuel inlet with the carb upside down and was not able to open the valve. I've looked at it from every angle and can not see any place where the float could be hanging up. Maybe the new float just doesn't float. I'm thinking of using Permatex to temporarily join the upper and lower parts of the carb body to see if the gasket maybe be causing problems after assembly.

is this gasket #72 around the main jet ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, it is there. However, when I disassembled, I didn't look for an imprint in the gasket from the tube in the lower part of the body.

Agreed. I can see where that could be the source of the problem. That will be top of my list for tomorrow if I don't get rained out.

Looking at the photo the float looks extremely close (not centered) at the top edge (looking at the picture)
If it is touching the bowl or main body at all it will hang up and allow fuel past the needle.
Have had to trim a float before due to an assembly problem when the float was manufactured.
That style float can be trimmed very easily and will have no negative effect on it.

I'm thinking that may be a slightly different carb. I'm pretty sure mine has more clearance then that. More like 1/8" to A1/4" all around. I'll verify tomorrow.

Latest posts