Carpet Adhesive???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Outdoorsman

Reaction score
I wondering if I can use the spray adhesive from Loctight or 3M to lay my carpet down?? The Loctight says its waterproof and one of the uses is for carpet. OR would I be better served to get the indoor/outdoor adhesive they sell in the carpet department?? IF I can go with the spray adhesive, would one can work on a 16ft tin with just a front and rear deck? (middle will be open) Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am about to put carpet in this weekend and I purchased the outdoor stuff you spread yourself. I like the idea of having control over the amount I spread out. In the "Project" section found on the home page there is a carpet project posted, and the gentleman that posted the project listed the outdoor adhesive that you spread as well....from the looks of it he did a great job too.

If you do decide to use the spray, please let us know how it goes.

I used 3M spray adhesive on my bunks. I believe it was 3M Super 77 or something like that. I used it because I also stapled it. I wouldnt count on it alone to hold the carpet. If you do go with the spray, be sure to spray both surfaces and let them get tacky before putting them together, otherwise it will come right back off.

For my decking/flooring, I used Dap contact cement like you would use for Formica. It worked great. Its somewhat permanent though so I hope my carpet lasts for a looooooooong time, lol. Be sure to use in a well ventilated area if you go this route. It is also applied to both surfaces and pressed together when tacky. I used a gallon on my 14'er but the whole boat is carpeted.

Lots of differing opinions, ill throw mine in...i used the 3m on my decking.. Im redoing my decking only to change the layout, so after a season of use, i removed my decking, thinking i could salvage some pieces for other projects. Let me tell you the carpet is on there so good, the only way to remove it is to peel the carpet from its rubber backing. It aint coming off no way no how. The 3m is much easy to apply and robust.
As for using it on bunks, bunks are submerged in water way more than your deck. Sure, the deck gets wet, but bunks go under water and when your rig is back on, the tops cant completely dry. Thats why when you get bunks done at the local shop, they often wont use glue but just staple them or use other mechanical means to keep the bunk carpet on.
For my whole boat, including inside storage areas, I used 2 cans..$16 ea

I have used the spray on and the indoor/outdoor spread on a couple of different builds. They both work, but on my most recent build I used the industrial spread from Lowes on the front deck, and the 3M spray on the rear and bunks. After about a year the front deck is still solid, while the rear comes loose when its in the sun and gets heated up. The bunks are still good, however they are stapled as well. I think from now on I will just use the spread kind vs the spray.

we use the 3m spray adhesive alot at work to glue rubber gaskets to bilco hatches.it works well in cold and sticks well to metal,but it does'nt like to be saturated with water. it will hold for a while,but you're better off with spreadable outdoor carpet adhesive from lowes/home depot.

I would say forget the carpet and spray it with bedliner if will last a lot longer And I think looks way Better and comes in about the same price a carpet and glue and the pia it is to install. I got mine from and guy in TX off eBay 200 buck shipped to my door and he had a lot of color to pick from and comes with the gun to spary it with as well.

I'm just wrapping up my boat project.
From past experience, I use the Professional Formica/laminate adhesive for carpet, Vinyl and anything else (This stuff is available for all sorts of applications, I usually purchased it as "vinyl top adhesive" but it's easiest to find at places that make counter tops...it's all the same thing though)
I spray it on with a cheapo paint spray gun from Harbor Freight, Both surfaces, let it dry until you can touch it and it is not sticky. This will allow you to reposition it prior to adhesion. When properly positioned, press it on and rub it out smooth. I use a roller for a good press.
Once stuck, it's stuck forever and virtually nothing effects it. The wood/carpet will fail before the glue.
Best stuff ever and due to my (past) career, I've used them all.

Bad news, as far as I know, it's only available in 5 gallon cans and runs about $110.00 for a can but, I use it for anything and everything I want to stick together.

Look around on carpet, I bought enough carpet to do my entire 16 ft boat (floor, sides and what not) for $44.00. They were Large "outdoor area rugs" from Menards at $11.00 a piece on clearance.
I used 4...I think they were 6x11. FYI, don't get rubber backed carpet.

Scorched said:
FYI, don't get rubber backed carpet.
Why? The best I can tell, the biggest difference in regular outdoor carpet and marine specific carpet is the rubber backing. If most if not all marine carpet has a rubber backing dosnt it serve a purpose? Just asking because I used rubber backed marine carpet on my boat. Dont know why you wouldnt other than cost.

The rubber is what they use to bind the fibers, it's also what breaks down first releasing the fibers.
I prefer a glue backing...I can't remember exactly what it's called but I personally like it best.

Marine based carpet just utilizes fibers that do not hold water (ie: cotton or wool) and have a UV protectant.

Somewhere buried here on Tinboats there's an outstanding post with a 4 page test for carpet glue, and danged if I didn't have it bookmarked and now I can't find it. There's a glue that's waterproof, spreadable, and is dang permanent that was determined to be the best tested - and of course they took it off the market. There was a substitute for it also that's still being made...

Absolutely no help, I know.

I'll hunt through the links and see what I've got.

I read that post, excellent testing he did and good info.

After a good set, The glue I use is stable in heat and water...after a while, solvents even have a difficult time with it - Bad azz stuff.
But, like I said, pricey unless you use it a lot.

i used 2 face tape around the edges and regular construction adhesive elsewhere. a dab here and there on the edges helped. experience has told me to buy a cheaper carpet and replce when it gets too dingy. the way i did it u can just rip off the old piece, do a little wire wheel work and put a new piece down. i just hsve carpet because the aluminum gets too hot to stand or sit on.

Latest posts