carpeting on decks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y_j. I lived in villa Rica for a while. I'm in Carrollton about 1 or 2 days a week. My business brings me there. Live in austell now. Yes, it is not a good week to do a boat build. Nice to hear from you.

Right on. My buddy/neighbor was in Villa Rica until he moved across the road from me..
Maybe one of these days we can toss some bait together.

That's a great idea. Need to stay in touch. I'm sure I will be easy to get in touch with, I will be on these forums for a while. Take care.

- - > to reiterate my above Post: 18 Feb 2015, 09:41

I got this 1648 MV bass boat couple of months ago and had to tear up the
front carpet (that was glued OVER the screws) because the P/O put the 10 amp trolling motor
inline fuse UNDER the friggin plywood deck.... PLUS, the plumbing for the front live well leaked.
and now, today, the back live well hose broke (or fitting came loose) either way,
the back live well drain empties into the bilge.
Also, the hose that pumps water into the well for aeration is leaking.
so, gotta tear up the back deck now just to get the plumbing right >ggrrrrrrrr ](*,)
also, when he put in the aft plastic recessed rod holders, he just dug out the foam
and stuck them in. This allows all the rain water to sit in the tube and slowly let the
foam suck it up. (on both sides).
One positive thing is, he put S/S screws in EACH and EVERY hole in every piano hinge all over
the boat !!! LOL so when I put it back, I can do every other hole and have a whole passle of
screws left over for other things.

Of course, the screws under the carpet have friggin glue in every head !! oh well, ..................
There is nothing wrong with the existing carpet and the plywood is relative solid. But not now,
when I pulled up the glued down carpet, it also removed the sealer and sealing paint from the plywood.
so now, it is either replace or reseal the wood before putting down new carpet. Grrrrrrrr ](*,) #-o

if you are new to putting in a deck - - - - this is what NOT to do !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Live Well FIx 006.JPG
    Live Well FIx 006.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 662
  • Live Well FIx 004.JPG
    Live Well FIx 004.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 662
  • Live Well FIx 003.JPG
    Live Well FIx 003.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 662
  • Live Well FIx 001.JPG
    Live Well FIx 001.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 662
Thanks for the update. Well, needless to say you are not a happy camper with all the work you have to do to repair problems under the deck. After reading the suggestions, I m not sure what method I will use, but one thing for sure, I want be gluing carpet down on top of decks! I will probably carpet decks and secure the decks with screws. Once again, thanks to everyone for there suggestions.

After reading thru this thread an idea come to me. Now mind you, I'm a certified nut job so.....
But anyway, I was thinking of, on my own, on the screws in the plywood why not cover each one with a piece of tape before gluing down the carpet. Then IF the case should arise to have to remove the carpet, and have to get below the deck(s), just remove the tape over the screws for clear access???
Seems to me, it would keep the glue out of the screw slots, just in case. Any thoughts on that, anyone???

Thanks, Johnny - from downtown central Florida. Lol. My mind is made up. I will be screwing the decks down after carpet is glued down. Like I said before, I'm new to doing mods and that's why I joined tinboats. You hear from a lot of folks, and determine what's best for particular your particular build. I'm not over the hill yet,but I sure don't want to be ripping up decks. While we are on the subjects of decks, in your opinion, what would you use to frame decks? Thanks Samtech.

Y_J has a good point - if you are determined to carpet your deck
after it is screwed down firmly in place, simply put a piece of masking tape over each screw.

I have owned all sorts of boats since around 1969. Wood, Fiberglass and Aluminum.
From an old 8 foot pram to a 30 foot Chris Craft cruiser.
At a very young age, I found my way through the Mariner's Walk of Pain by either learning
from my own uneducated blunders, or from fixing previous owners short cuts.
Being out on the water, sometimes far from your landing, is not the time to be fiddling around
doing repairs.
Boating can be - and should be - FUN !!!

Framing ? that again is a much debated subject. Use the search button.
look at some of the awesome builds in the Conversions and Modifications pages.
Pros and Cons - just look at a few similar to yours and you decide what will work
best for YOU.

Happy Boating !!

My question is that if you need to use 2 pieces of plywood for the deck how do you attach them together to form 1 piece? My idea for my build is to make my floor deck free floating so I can easily remove the entire deck? Any questions or answers!?

What I mean is that it will take 2 pieces of plywood to do my floor. It's 52" wide by 63" long

You could spline that with a 1.5" wide strip of 0.10 aluminum and epoxy it together. It needs to be good quality plywood - 4 or 5 ply and no voids.

as an accomplished woodworker, biscuits into a big piece of 1/2" plywood
may lead to frustrations when handled by one person and it all comes apart in your hands.
Put some thought into this .... if you have room, glue and screw a 1x2" along the two joining
edges and install a piano hinge so you can fold the two pieces up.
It would be very okay and function well to carpet over the hinged joint.
The joint does not have to be in the center - it can be at the 48" wide joint
or wherever it has room. If you give it adequate support from underneath,
once covered with the carpet, you will be the only one that knows your deck is in two pieces.
Or, if you want to keep it in one big piece, make a permanent brace from underneath.
If your joined seam will be across the boat (from port to starboard) there shouldn't be a
problem with your support ribs. If you go front to back (bow to stern) you may have to put some
gaps in in your 1x cleats to fit over the ribs. From a structural standpoint, you would be
the only one that can make the call on what will work best for your setup.

Jus my dos centavos

Attachments

• Hinged Deck.png
    Hinged Deck.png
    115 KB · Views: 693
My floor deck is also in two pieces. Had to be to be able to get it under the two remaining bench seats. Slip one in, then the other and align the two.
What I was going to do was to put a short piece if aluminum on the top at the edges with flat-head SS screws. Basically to just hold the two pieces together. Along the edges and under the carpet, they are pretty much out of the way and out of view.
Is this a bad or good idea???

"C" is the way I usually do it. Nice illustrations!

Fabricate the two pieces of wood into one before putting in the boat. Remove the screws from one side, and put down the piece with the batten first. Then the other will drop right down on it, and the screws will go right back into the same holes. Done and strong

I usually use 3/4 plywood as the batten, as that doesn't tend to split as much as dimensional lumber.

One note, for what it's worth- If you use flat-head screws, they tend to pull down and vanish in carpet. Just be careful not to drive them too deeply.

Great boat to start with!

-TH

Finishing up the carpeting on my back casting deck today and had
to install a sheetmetal holding plate for the gas tank/battery hold and
it was to be under the carpet with "truss bolts" . . . and then I remembered
Y_J's tip . . . . put a piece of masking tape over the heads prior to gluing down.

COOL TIP !!!

Latest posts