casting platform for a saltware Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckledtrout

Reaction score
hi folks, I recently found this site and much appreciate it as a resource for ideas and advice. I use my Sea Nymph 14R mostly for saltwater fishing here in coastal NC and am considering modifying its layout to achieve these objectives:

* create a reasonably large front platform that's absolutely clear, for fly fishing and also throwing cast nets.
* remove the middle bench for a clean, uncluttered layout in the middle of the boat (need to modify as necess for structural integrity, no flexing)

I've researched a few dozen of the awesome v-hull builds / custom mods that others have done on this site. There's some awesome work and beautiful results, however I haven't seen an example where folks sought to build a good-sized platform upfront. It seems that most designs here are focused on front platform optimized for a pedestal seat, with a foot-control for a TM and also perhaps recessed compartments for anchor, gear, etc. That's perfect for bass, crappie, etc... stationary fishing... however I'm looking for the maximum-sized casting platform that I could install and which it'd be absolutely devoid of any fittings that might snag cast netting or disrupt fly fishing that my fishing buddy prefers. Much appreciate any ideas.

I've considered this problem for a while -- 1 obvious answer is that maybe I have the wrong boat for what I'm asking. A v-hull inherently won't be an optimal design for a broad front platform. Nearly any traditional flat-bow or hybrid v-hull jon boat would be a far better choice. However, the high sides and deep v-hull of the Nymph are invaluable to me for coastal waters as they cut through waves great and handle boat wake well. We call these boats island runners around here given how well they handle the chop. So, I'd to see if I can solve the challenge with what I have.

I gotta say, I do enjoy reading these stories from folks in the great lakes region. I've never been there and don't know those fish habits. Must be amazing to bring in the muskies I read about. That's a beast of a fish. Hope ya'll can get down SE sometime... you'd love getting after the spanish mackerel, trout and bluefish here.

My boat is a 14R w/ a Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke tiller. It has no electronics except a fish finder and a small 6V battery. Intent is a really simple coastal boat.

Regards,
Andrew

I think I just got closure on this.... I found a great modification last night on this site by a mid west fellow jimmy..... He designed a clean uncluttered mod on his 14r that looks fantastic. I plan to follow his idea and slightly increase the platform size.

I'm really appreciative of this site. Lot of talented creative folks who kindly share their ideas for amateur builders like me.

Hope you share your build!
Are the plans your considering keeping the integrity of the center seat by covering it with the platform?