circuit breaker: manual or automatic reset?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnortherns

Reaction score
So I'm about to wire a circuit breaker (50 or 60 A) close to the battery for my trolling motor. There are manual and automatic reset breaker versions available. What is preferred, manual or automatic reset?

I am guessing manual. If there is a high current event going on, if you have to reset it manually (and your trolling motor doesn't work) it is going to get your attention.

What happens with an automatic reset? Does it reset quickly enough that the operator may not know of the higher current draw? I've never tripped a breaker so I can't say......thanks for the input.

BaitCaster said:
Mine is automatic. Never had a problem waiting for it to reset.
With automatic, maybe a silly question, but how do you know that the breaker tripped? I'm more worried that the automatic reset is so fast that I don't realize something abnormal is going on with the circuit.

If it were reoccurring I'd probably want to know about it.

I only use the breaker on my trolling motor. I know it has been tripped when the motor stops working. It takes a few seconds to reset, so there's no issue of it tripping and resetting without me knowing it.

Latest posts