control box question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibSteve

Reaction score
I just bought a 204 40 hp Yamaha (2 stroke) with a 703 control box.

I've always had a tiller before so I'm a little confused on operation (read the manual but this was not covered).

When I have it in neutral, the prop moves easily.

When I move the handle from neutral to the 2 o'clock position, it remains in neutral until it hits the 2 o'clock position, then it goes into reverse.

When I have it in neutral and move it to forward, it clicks into gear immediately (so think of it as clicking into gear at 11:59PM).
I was expecting it to click in at the 10 o'clock position.

Does something need adjusting or is this functioning properly?

(Thanks in advance!)

Sounds like it's not adjusted correctly. When I did my old Yamaha the first thing I did was make sure my motor was in neutral. If you go on the net and search for Yamaha Rigging you should be able to find the procedure for doing yours.

Something needs adjusting
x2
Here's Suzuki but same idea . . . Pg 13
https://suzuki.ru/uploads/files/376/DF70A-80A-90A_9950587L1001E%20SET%20UP%20MANUAL%20.pdf

You are a flying mile out of adjustment at the engine end.

Place the engine in neutral with no shift cable attached to it.
Place the cable trunnion of the shift cable into the cradle and lock it in.
Adjust the screwed on cable end until it just slips over the attachment post on the engine. DO NOT MOVE OR ADJUST the engine to conform to the control box/cable!! ......Read that again......!
If you still have any kind of an issue then you may have installed the shift cable in the wrong position in the control box. Some boxes are able to run more than one brand of engine. Make sure you have this correct.
On the throttle make sure the throttle cable is adjusted where it will hold the throttle arm on the engine back far enough that the engine returns to the same low idle every time. Again.......do not adjust the engine to conform to the control box.

Hey thanks everyone!

Like I said, I just bought the boat and motor and had only had tiller handles before so I was pretty clueless as to whether it was set up correctly!

Patriot2, that manual is much better than the Yamaha one I found online. In particular, yours says very clearly:

"Make sure that both forward and reverse gear can be engaged with the same angle of remote control handle travel from “NEUTRAL” position."

Pappy, I gotta say, I lol'ed when I read your first line! I'll try to make the adjustments tomorrow.

eeshaw, thanks for the PM. I'll follow-up with you.

Again, thanks everyone...I've been a little stressed about this so I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your knowledge!

that's not uncommon on yamaha

yea u can adjust it pretty easy

ideally you want it to be a slight detent toward reverse in that u can adjust the link at the motor a hair toward reverse from the neutral position

but before u do, you need to make sure the cables aren't binding or seized (common on older boats particularly if they sit outside a lot, and almost guaranteed if they sit under a pine tree!). If the shift cable isn't smooth they'll act all kinds of crazy

if you look inside the box you will see why I said it's not uncommon. Going to reverse has a different lever ratio than going into forward, so that you can't go full throttle backwards. The lever you are yanking on with your hand will go almost all the way "full" but the levers inside the box won't let the throttle cable be pulled all the way. Safety feature I reckon.