Cork Flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytmann

Reaction score
I've been modifying an old 16 ft jon boat and pretty much have it finished up. I opted to eliminate any wood or carpet and used all aluminum for the deck and floor. I didn't want to be replacing material any time soon. My only problem is... the aluminum flooring gets freaking hot when I'm chasing white bass on a 95 degree day. I considered a rubber work mat like they sell at hardware store. Curious, if anyone ever considered using cork for the flooring. I found rolls of cork and cork panels online and consider gluing it to the existing aluminum floor. Cork is water and mold resistant, heat resistant, and light weight.
Any thoughts?

Sounds interesting, but it could work! One of our local furniture/flooring stores sells hardwood flooring made from cork. It looks durable enough, and like you said, it's moisture resistant.... only problem I saw with it was that it was rather expensive.

IMO... Don't do cork! I bought cork for the house and it bleaches out by any sliding glass door due to sun exposure. In a matter of 1 month it was noticeably lighter. In 6 months its nearly white. Near the dogs water dish, and lots of drool, if you don't wipe up wet spots fairly soon the cork stars to blacken in the veins. Up to you but I'd look at other options.

I'm not too concerned with any discoloration. Cork flooring typically has wood backing, which doesn't work well in wet conditions. What I found is cork panels that are 1/4" thick. It runs about $2.50/sf. In my head, it sounds like a perfect plan. Its water and mold resistant, stays cool, it wont snag hooks like carpet. Too bad I don't trust my head. Now that I threw the idea out there, I dare someone to try it and get back to me.

Howdy Jay , I'm getting ready to do a conversion/ Mod and I was thank'n bout going all aluminum also and I've been doing a lot of reading/ research online as well as asking around & I like this stuff called Hydro turf . Its the same stuff that's sometimes used on stand up jet skis but can be used in a # of different applications as its what GatorTrax boats uses on a lot of there boats & can be purchased from them GatorTraxboats.com but I've found it on Amazon and other sites also but the kind GatorTrax sells has a peel and stick adhesive backing I thank its about 80 bucks for a 42 by 60 inch sheet from them . It suppose to be tough durable and cool to the touch even in direct sun . If I go all aluminum I'm definitely going to consider HydroTurf . Also there is an interesting post on this site its actually where I first realised you could buy the stuff. I thank its alumacraft 1448mv . Anyway Good Luck to ya .

Latest posts