Cover for 1953 Lyman outboard 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Happy New Year!
Am looking for a decent cover but trying to keep costs down for Lesa's 1953 wooden Lyman with an outboard on it.
It is kept inside.
V-shaped bow and no windshield on it.
I know there are folks in here that are well versed in covers!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Check with the Antique boat clubs, they shoukd have a source that makes original looking covers. I had a 1954 back in the day with the duck brown original Lyman cover made of canvass. Fond memories !!

I had a custom cover made once at Carver Industries in Greeneville, SC. Wasn't cheap but was VERY high quality and fir like a glove. When the boat sold the cover was one of the things that impressed the new owner the most.

I've had Carver flex fit covers on my last two boats. Current one is 5 years old and holding strong. For the current 18' walk thru boat I paid $149+tax. I have no idea what they run these days.

Last edited:
This cover would be more of a dust cover than anything else.
Airshot....That cover is sort of whats on it at the moment. Super heavy cotton, and duck brown in color but full of holes now.
This does not have to be custom.....was thinking more along the lines of a jon boat cover? Been a long time since I have purchased a boat cover and looking for more up to date knowledge and where I can save a bit of money. Thanks so much for the replies so far.

Can you repair by stitching in a new piece of material or materials? Or is it That bad?

I had a cover that had good material, unfortunately it got a a few holes. Rub holes really. I just cut some sunshade material and hand stitched right around the bad areas. I called it my Frankenstein cover. The new owner didnt mind.

Your in the land of Lakes for sure. Used to live in Eustis many decades ago.

If just a dust cover, then look around for a semi-tarp cover place that make tarps to cover semi trailers. We have a couple around here. They have a variety of materials to choose from and while not custom, there work has been heavy duty/ well sewn type of work. And at fair prices compared to custom covers. No way can you beat the price of an online cover made overseas. If that is all you need, go for it. But if you want something that will last, see a semi tarp folks. My last cover is over 12 yrs old, dirty but no leaks, no cracks, no worn spots, still like new under the dirt !!

Can you repair by stitching in a new piece of material or materials? Or is it That bad?

I had a cover that had good material, unfortunately it got a a few holes. Rub holes really. I just cut some sunshade material and hand stitched right around the bad areas. I called it my Frankenstein cover. The new owner didnt mind.

Your in the land of Lakes for sure. Used to live in Eustis many decades ago.
Got that right......Eustis and Lake County was magical for decades. Now.....Orlando is moving up and folks tired of where they lived up North are moving in. Traffic has gotten bad enough that Lesa and I said "Hell with this" and bought a house up on lake Talquin, just west of Talahassee. 10,800 acres and most of the land around it is owned by the Div. of Forestry so no more houses! Even on weekends there is very little boat traffic and even less car traffic up there. Sometiimes I do not pass a car for 2-3 minutes while driving in that area. What made you move?

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_232032498.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232032498.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts