Damaged Prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Looks minor to me. Around here I see people running props that look worse. Last guy was running it. Other than a light scuff this prop looks like new. Repair it, toss it, or don't worry about it? Opinions please. Some are telling me I'll ruin the motor if I don't replace it.

Attachments

• Prop Damage 04.jpg
    Prop Damage 04.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Prop Damage 05.jpg
    Prop Damage 05.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1
  • Prop Damage 06.jpg
    Prop Damage 06.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't want to make light of your woes, but that's nothing IMO. It will buff right out. Of course it' might be more serious than I'm letting on, but any prop shop will fix er up ASAP.

Using it temporarely while you get another is one thing, long term, high speed operation WILL put unecessary strain on the lower unit from being out of balance !! Slow operation probably ok, but the question is.....why take that chance ? Props are cheap compared to outboard repair costs...so why would anyone take that chance ??

Looks minor to me. Around here I see people running props that look worse. Last guy was running it. Other than a light scuff this prop looks like new. Repair it, toss it, or don't worry about it? Opinions please. Some are telling me I'll ruin the motor if I don't replace it.
It won't ruin the motor, just the lower end as has been suggested. Props are cheap in comparison.

Just seems to me that I can use hammers and dollies to work the slight bend out and IF there is any material missing it's not enough to throw the balance off much. I'm looking at it like I would a scuffed rim on a car. Yes, I know wheels on a car prob don't turn as fast as a prop, but you don't scrap wheels when they get a little curb rash. I may just go ahead and replace it, but I figure it's just going to happen again. It's the nature of this lake. Even though I know where the shallows are I still managed to scuff a brand new prop last year. I just can't be replacing these things left and right. Just about EVERY motor I see around here has a scraped up prop too. Many a lot worse than this. I'm not disputing anything that's being said, I just wonder if this is really as serious an issue has some think it is. I also don't have deep enough pockets to just shrug off a $150 prop purchase. Especially if chances are good the new prop will look just like this one before the summer is over.

Just seems to me that I can use hammers and dollies to work the slight bend out and IF there is any material missing it's not enough to throw the balance off much. I'm looking at it like I would a scuffed rim on a car. Yes, I know wheels on a car prob don't turn as fast as a prop, but you don't scrap wheels when they get a little curb rash. I may just go ahead and replace it, but I figure it's just going to happen again. It's the nature of this lake. Even though I know where the shallows are I still managed to scuff a brand new prop last year. I just can't be replacing these things left and right. Just about EVERY motor I see around here has a scraped up prop too. Many a lot worse than this. I'm not disputing anything that's being said, I just wonder if this is really as serious an issue has some think it is. I also don't have deep enough pockets to just shrug off a $150 prop purchase. Especially if chances are good the new prop will look just like this one before the summer is over.
See if you can locate a good condition used prop. You can also scrape off a bit of aluminum from the other two blades to even things out. Just draw a correct blade on some paper then lay the bad blade over it and trace. You'll know how much to remove. I'm Mr. Half assed, but I bet it works just fine.