Deciding between two boats, G3 185 VF and Alumacraft 185 Trophy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trophy 175 is 1550# dry and 185 is 1780# dry (best I remember, might be slightly off).

I think a 175 would suit my needs, but I guess my thought is why wouldn't I go bigger since this is something I want to keep for a long time.

It would be very normal to consider the bigger boat. I think Flatheadsteve and Jethro makes an extremely valid point about going with max rated HP. Maybe consider upgrading the 175 with the 150 HP motor. Total cost would probably be less than the 185 with the 150 HP motor and certainly less than the 185 with a 175 HP motor. Just a thought.

Have you considered a Lund?
Yeah. Looked at a Crossover XS. It was used, two years old. It was falling apart inside. I liked the layout, but it just felt cheap. Their warranty is not very good, either (lifetime is only on double rivets, rest of boat including single rivets is 3 years). Lund also uses thin aluminum. Not worth the price, IMO. A new Crossover is about $5-7k more in 18 foot than either the Alumacraft or G3. If I'm going to spend that much I'd get glass.

Yeah. Looked at a Crossover XS. It was used, two years old. It was falling apart inside. I liked the layout, but it just felt cheap. Their warranty is not very good, either (lifetime is only on double rivets, rest of boat including single rivets is 3 years). Lund also uses thin aluminum. Not worth the price, IMO. A new Crossover is about $5-7k more in 18 foot than either the Alumacraft or G3. If I'm going to spend that much I'd get glass.
Wow. Didn't know any of that. I always thought Lund was a quality boat. Thanks

$50k after all is said and done for an 18 foot boat is ridiculous!
If buying a brand new boat and paying that much, shop around until you find the one that has everything exactly how you want it. You shouldn't be sacrificing any of your desires, even if it costs a bit more to include the upgrades everywhere you believe it is lacking. Ending up with a $50k boat but wishing you had this instead or that instead will not be a good boater's life. $60k with no regrets sounds better (though EXTREMELY ridiculous). Either way, I hope you plan on using it 3-4 times a week year-round unless you can afford expensive driveway decorations.
If buying new I agree don't hold back get every last option/ add on you may want otherwise your buying an expensive boat just to pay more down the road to add what you want or need. Prices are what they are sure they may get better but they could also get worse. I bought our 20ft xpress this spring with the plans to keep it for 15-20yrs I didn't hold back on options the only one I think I didn't get was a T top. $55k out the door but after using it the last couple months there isn't a single thing I think needs added and that hi pressure washdown I was reluctant to add comes in real handy cleaning fish while still out fishing. Buy once cry once but you will be smiling for years.

I think you missed my point. Someone can buy a new boat without being a spendthrift. Guy wants to and can afford to buy a new boat. If he can afford it I'm pretty sure he understands depreciation.
You might be correct however, next to autos boats are the number one repossesion item, so there are many that don't. Not knocking anyone for buying a new boat, your money, your decision !! Just brought up my reason for choosing not to.

When I am in a situation such as yours I Hand write a Pro`s and Con`s list, sometimes on Butcher paper since a few times my list was lengthy. IMO, Welded and more horse power Wins!

If buying new I agree don't hold back get every last option/ add on you may want otherwise your buying an expensive boat just to pay more down the road to add what you want or need. Prices are what they are sure they may get better but they could also get worse. I bought our 20ft xpress this spring with the plans to keep it for 15-20yrs I didn't hold back on options the only one I think I didn't get was a T top. $55k out the door but after using it the last couple months there isn't a single thing I think needs added and that hi pressure washdown I was reluctant to add comes in real handy cleaning fish while still out fishing. Buy once cry once but you will be smiling for years.
Over my 60 plus years of boat owning, every boat I have ever owned was the perfect one equipment and all. However as life changes so did my wants and needs for my boat. Everything from two footitus to change of fishing habits....the list goes on. Longest I ever had a boat was eight years before deciding I needed/wanted a different one. I might be an oddball, not sure, but being satisfied with the same toy for long periods of time has never been popular for me, nor any of the folks we hang with. I live out in the country and see numerous boats sitting for years without being touched or moved...I often wonder how well those boats suited there owners ??

Over my 60 plus years of boat owning, every boat I have ever owned was the perfect one equipment and all. However as life changes so did my wants and needs for my boat. Everything from two footitus to change of fishing habits....the list goes on. Longest I ever had a boat was eight years before deciding I needed/wanted a different one. I might be an oddball, not sure, but being satisfied with the same toy for long periods of time has never been popular for me, nor any of the folks we hang with. I live out in the country and see numerous boats sitting for years without being touched or moved...I often wonder how well those boats suited there owners ??
I tend to hold onto things I'm 39 and have owned a boat since I was 16. I've never been without one but have only ever owned 5 of which 2 are still in my possesion. My first was totaled in a hurricane. I had my alumacraft 1648 for 15yrs. I hope to one day take my grandkids out on the one I just bought...my son is 10. Everybody is different though

WOW.

Kind of new to this hole boat thing. I read about folks that want over 100 horsepower and prefer to need the latest and greatest. That is Ok I guess. Been fishing for longtime without boat. Started out fly fishing in California for trout. Loved it. Then I joined the Marine Corps and became very active surf fisherman. Years later joined the Navy and enjoyed what was called fish call. Years later found myself retired after a twenty year plus career as a welder here in Oklahoma. Now I got both feet in the mud vice the sand and high dreams. A little boat that can get me in the back water of lake Eufaula is good enough. Working On that with a lot of sentalmetal valve. Inherited My wifes brothers boat. The boat is my pride and joy. Really have spent a lot of hours working on it. Not much for bragging rights 1984 14 ft mod v bottom-Lone star. Boat has required a lot of work to get her ready. I do know this much the day will come when I am sitting in the backwaters of the lake catching the limit on Crappie or Cats and enjoying every second of it. Hope you enjoy the same satisfaction. ENOUGH SAID

Kind of new to this hole boat thing. I read about folks that want over 100 horsepower and prefer to need the latest and greatest. That is Ok I guess. Been fishing for longtime without boat. Started out fly fishing in California for trout. Loved it. Then I joined the Marine Corps and became very active surf fisherman. Years later joined the Navy and enjoyed what was called fish call. Years later found myself retired after a twenty year plus career as a welder here in Oklahoma. Now I got both feet in the mud vice the sand and high dreams. A little boat that can get me in the back water of lake Eufaula is good enough. Working On that with a lot of sentalmetal valve. Inherited My wifes brothers boat. The boat is my pride and joy. Really have spent a lot of hours working on it. Not much for bragging rights 1984 14 ft mod v bottom-Lone star. Boat has required a lot of work to get her ready. I do know this much the day will come when I am sitting in the backwaters of the lake catching the limit on Crappie or Cats and enjoying every second of it. Hope you enjoy the same satisfaction. ENOUGH SAID

I really enjoy surf fishing (going this Saturday). If I get to the point I can't use the boat any more, I hope I can still go surf fishing. As for boating, along with fishing and being on the water, just tinkering with the boat is enjoyable.

I can’t add much on the boat models. I would consider the dealers rep for handling problems, and after sale support.

Make sure you look at the trailers in your comparison. G3 uses Bear trailers which have a so-so rep. Seen pictures of broken welds and other failures. No issues with my son’s 2022 yet. IMO, there is more frame flex than I like. I don’t know what trailer Allumacraft uses, so should research that.

The Turboswing is tube rated. The ski pole is most likely not. Tubes, at low speed can nose dive and create extreme load. Much more than a skier. The TS is expensive, but currently at the top of my list for my pontoon boat.

I like alumacraft, we have the Trophy 175 with a 90 horse evinrude and it's plenty of motor, fish reservoirs, lake Erie and lake Michigan, run a bow cover when on the Great lakes and only go out anymore with 3 foot or less waves.

There are things I like and don't like about both. I like the 2XB hull on the Alumacraft, it is a little thicker on the 18 since G3 keeps the same thickness for 17 and 18 footers while Alumacraft increases it. I like the ladder better on the G3 (seems less likely the screws would come out with being used), and it also has a platform for the person to step onto whereas the Alumacraft doesn't. Storage seems better on the Alumacraft in terms of quantity, but G3 has the nice bins to keep things dry. I definitely like the rear jump seat area better on the G3 with the live well in the middle instead of under one of the seats. I haven't sat in a G3 that size so don't know how deep the front sitting area is. I like the shape of the bow better on the Alumacraft for cutting through water. The lifetime rivets warranty on the G3 is only on the transom, keel, and chine (rest are 5 years).

Not really worried about Alumacraft not being around - they are a BPR brand and will be around as long as their new roto motor isn't a total flop (which it might be). And I want to buy either new or late model used. But used prices are really high still and you're stuck with whatever inventory is out there.

Seems like I need a 150 for 18 footer, which brings the prices in line with each other (G3 boat is cheaper but Yamaha motor is more than Merc).

Part of it is that I'm unsure what the incentives will be in the spring. Right now G3 aren't good on 2024 and Alumacraft is only $1000. You'd think with the economy slowing they'd have to up the incentives to move boats which are maybe the #1 discretionary spending large ticket item people buy.
If this is your first boat, you don’t really know what will work for you until you get it and use it. I think you should get physical with both boats; don’t buy until you can sit in both. As for the motors, I’d buy more than I need rather than less that will work. The live well is important to have at resale, maybe not as important to you if only fishing for pan fish. I’d get the best of everything within my budget. If and when you go to sell, you’ll have one of the nicest used boats out there.

Saw this one and talked to a salesman on the phone. It was a demo for two days at the national G3 show in Missouri a month or two ago. Comes with a lot of accessories.

Wish it was a 1850 instead of a 1750, but it is a good price. Has a 150 Yam SHO on it (I'd prefer 115 in a 17, but oh well).

Something to consider anyway. He is asking $42,600 before incentives. Current incentives don't cover 2024 MY, but if still not sold the spring ones would.

https://www.redlinesportandmarine.com/inventory/2024-g3-angler-1750-norway-mi-49870-12075670i

Saw this one and talked to a salesman on the phone. It was a demo for two days at the national G3 show in Missouri a month or two ago. Comes with a lot of accessories.

Wish it was a 1850 instead of a 1750, but it is a good price. Has a 150 Yam SHO on it (I'd prefer 115 in a 17, but oh well).

Something to consider anyway. He is asking $42,600 before incentives. Current incentives don't cover 2024 MY, but if still not sold the spring ones would.

https://www.redlinesportandmarine.com/inventory/2024-g3-angler-1750-norway-mi-49870-12075670i
That thing will fly with a 150sho! Apples to oranges but the 150sho on my 20ft pad hull goes way faster than I need to. Really sips fuel cruising around 3500rpm @ 36mph. They are built on the 2.8block like the f200 so its not working very hard for the 150hp rating.

I recently purchased a new '23 Tracker PG V16 SC. Heck, I thought $27K OTD was high! I understand depreciation very well. I plan to keep my boat for many, many years. It's NOT a financial investment; it's an investment in personal enjoyment, ease of use, reliability, and FUN!

I saved and saved so I could afford it with no payments.

I wanted certain specifics in my next boat....."Simplicity" as far as my desired conveniences would allow.... SC/Remote Steering, Rod/Gear Storage, and a modern, reliable, and easy to personally service/repair EFI motor. I've had dozens of used boats and refurbished most of them. I recently retired, so I wanted new this time!

I also did NOT max out the HP......which is 90hp on my boat....
I went with a 60HP.

Why.....
MAIN REASON....It would be 113# heavier... which is CRITICAL in a small tinny!
I don't fish super large lakes (predominately CA/AZ reservoirs/lakes).
I do not tube or wakeboard.
I do not tournament fish.
I fish 1-3 adults for absolute pleasure! I/we fish and enjoy my/our time on the water. Not in a hurry to get anywhere!

Get what makes you happy, you can easily afford, and meets you and your family's needs!!
Fish on!

Last edited:
I have a G3 , the guide v150, different from your interests
That said, the boat is build by yamaha, so the engine that will come with it is the yamaha and should put on it what it needs. I'm happy with the quality of it.
Same with the lund I had, quality wise.

I think you missed my point. Someone can buy a new boat without being a spendthrift. Guy wants to and can afford to buy a new boat. If he can afford it I'm pretty sure he understands depreciation.
Not so sure about that...look at all the college educated folks that can't understand those debts/ loans need to be repaid......lol...

Latest posts