deciding on my first rig, thoughts on Triton TS-17?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilers

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post. I have a few years of boating experience with my dad (bass fishing), but now I am finally looking for my first boat.

Heres my criteria:

-reasonably cheap to haul (gas)
-reasonably cheap to operate (gas)
-must have at least one console w/ power trim, etc,
-fits in my 230" (wall to door) garage. SHORT I KNOW!!! I hate it.Thats what she said. I am not paying someone to store my boat! And it isnt going outside! I think I can handle a 17' boat as long as the tongue is removable or it hinges.
-can handle 1-2' waves at the very worst. This will be for leisurely fishing I'm thinking. I dont plan to take on any extreme weather, nor do I plan to be on the water when the skiers and tubers come out, though it could happen on accident.
-priced $2-10k
-I dont mind if its old, but it needs to be reliable, I aint into rebuilding transoms or hulls anything like that.

Honestly, I'm thinking about going with an aluminum rig. Alumacraft V170, Triton TS or VS 17, Lowe, Xpress, or something along those lines.

What do you guys suggest based on my criteria?

I have found a 2007 Triton TS-17 that seems like the perfect fit for me. It got a Mercury Optimax 90HP 2 stroke (less than 75 hours), Motorguide 70 LB trolling motor, Garmin 300C fishfinder/GPS (bow), built in Lawrence x50 (console),Road King trailer w/ detachable tongue, Triton matching boat cover, brand new batteries, etc.

The seller says it fits in a 18x10' garage with the trailer tongue removed, motor cranked all the way to one side, and backed into the corner of the garage.

Asking price is just shy of $10k

Does anyone have any history with the Triton TS series? I am mostly concerned about the structure of the boat, reliability, etc. I have heard of issues with transom weld cracks on the very similar VT series. ( rumor is it had something to do with the trialer support being assembled backwards)

I appreciate any suggestions/feedback!

What a warming welcome! Nobody seems to know anything about the Triton. Are there any other boats I should take a hard look at?

Welcome. I don't have any experience but sounds like a sweet rig, one I wish I had. If you're worried about it not fitting in the garage I would take a tape measure with you when looking at it to insure it will fit in the garage. Have any pics of it?

Ditto on the Welcome. Spring is here and it's tax time so expect good deals on boats to sell fast. Let that be your guide.

$10k may buy you a lot of boat but 1648's can be had for around $2500-3500. It really depends on what you need vs. what you want as to what is a good deal to you.

Any motor is a crap shoot, it's either going to be great, going to be not so great, or going to poop on you first time out on the water. Get the seller to water test it before shedding any cash but make sure you have the funds to do the deal at the ramp if you do go for a ride.

As said above, what options and condition?

This is my first time posting on this site- I own a 2006 Triton TS17- nice rig- one concern would be the size of the engine- mine is only rated for 75 HP- coast guard rating plate on the boat-flat water it will run 40 mph-plenty fast- its great on gas- good luck with your selection

Well guys, I just bought a boat last night. It's a 1998 Lowe 170. It is in really good shape for the year. Paint is in excellent condition. Carpet is all intact. All gauges and electronics on the console work. The engine is an Evinrude 70 HP. It started up pretty easily, even though it was in the mid 30s yesterday. It smoked a little, but not much. Cylinders had compression of 128, 130, and 127, (written on the cyl head) when checked last fall. Trolling motor is the original Evinrude. I'm not sure on the specifics of it yet.

It was $5k. I keep telling myself that I paid too much, but then I remember that this boat is in good shape and it looks like it was barely used.

What do y'all think?

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks as long as you are happy in the end. Sounds like a great boat. Get some pics up of it.

Price might be high, or low depending on where you live and what shape it's in. A price point is only good for bragging about and honestly on the things I think I may have spent too much on, I try to forget how much I paid for them and instead remember how much I enjoy using them.

Post up some pics.

Here it is. I am in Iowa BTW. The boat has a few minor dints and dings, but the finish is excellent, and the motor looks very clean as well. I am the 3rd owner. Previous owner had a house boat and used this as his "run around the lake" boat. He bought the boat from the original owner who was a 70 some year old man who had the boat in the water only about 10 times.

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,421
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,421
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 1,421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,421
nice looking boat good luck with it
As far as the price DON'T listen to others about what you paid
I am always asked if I think they paid to much my answer is simple
if you think you got a fair price on your purchase don't worry what I think
Prices vary greatly across the country.
Again good luck with the new to you boat and get out and catch some fish

i have a 98 180 lowes love it real dependable boat. solid on water i had the evenrude troller on mine great motor hard to get repair parts when it quit i but a 55 lb motor guide on never looked back. as far as price that sounds fair. bottom line if your happy that is what counts

That is a very nice looking boat. New carpet and you'll be good to go! I would go with a grey. Motor looks to be in excellent condition.