Deck covering material-- your opinion please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwphoto

Reaction score
Just starting in on a jon boat project and would like to get feedback from others on what material they chose for their decking, and why.

I would say by far the most common material I see is marine carpet. Looks very nice when finished. I never get to see photographs a year down the road after dirt and fish guts have been smeared all over it. Not sure how it is for weight either. If you have carpet, would you use it again?

The second material I'm considering is fiberglass reinforced panels (FPR for short). As far as I know these are not UV coated, so have to be sprayed with paint, and not sure if that paint would then peal up over time. Would prefer to stay away from any bedliner type material, as it's black and probably gets pretty hot. There are of course other non-slip paints out there, just not sure if they would rub off.

Lastly, I've seen one guy using horse stall blankets or padding. These kind of remind me of the antifatigue mats. I bet they are great for cushioning and sound protection, and of course are water proof. In my area a 3 x 5' piece is $70, so not cheap.

For the recessed area of the boat, I can put the FPR panels directly on top of the rigid foam without a problem-- A nice light weight solution. For the raised deck at the bow, I plan on using 3/8 of an inch plywood, with exterior glue, but still want to cover this in a matching material as the recessed area. Due to cost, I will probably not use aluminum sheet, and not sure how the weight compares to 3/8 of an inch plywood. Aluminum sheets are pretty darn expensive though.

Other material, options not mentioned?

Right now, I'm just going to cover the bottom of the boat with rigid insulation sheets, but would like to apply a surface coating within the next few days here. I have two raise areas, and one recessed. Again, I would like to use the same material for consistency sake throughout the boat.

So, your feedback please! What did you use and would you use it again?

Thanks in advance!

Troy

I'll speak up for FRP - it's polyester resin, the same as is used in fiberglass boat construction - and also the same type that virtually every fiberglass primer is designed to bond to. I went with Tuff Coat non-skid marine coating which is designed to be UV resistant.

Plus arguments: Very light, comparably inexpensive, easy to patch

Negatives: Must be backed by foam or tight knit aluminum framing. Dropping heavy small contact area items (ie skeg under an 80# trolling motor) will punch right through it (though that possibly could have punched a hole in the aluminum had it not hit the deck so that might have been a win)

Lastly, I've seen one guy using horse stall blankets or padding. These kind of remind me of the antifatigue mats. I bet they are great for cushioning and sound protection, and of course are water proof. In my area a 3 x 5' piece is $70, so not cheap.

and they weigh a ton.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361634#p361634 said:
onthewater102 » 30 Jul 2014, 16:52[/url]"]I'll speak up for FRP - it's polyester resin, the same as is used in fiberglass boat construction - and also the same type that virtually every fiberglass primer is designed to bond to. I went with Tuff Coat non-skid marine coating which is designed to be UV resistant.

Plus arguments: Very light, comparably inexpensive, easy to patch

Negatives: Must be backed by foam or tight knit aluminum framing. Dropping heavy small contact area items (ie skeg under an 80# trolling motor) will punch right through it (though that possibly could have punched a hole in the aluminum had it not hit the deck so that might have been a win)

Is the tough coat colored or what, never heard of it. I looked at the fiberglass panels earlier today at Lowe's, and at $34 a sheet they're not too bad. Not much to choose from. White, beige, and sand I think. Better than pink I guess! LOL's. Hope that the wives' ankle is recovering nicely. Would still love to see more photographs of your finished boat when You get a chance. I'm not seeing too many completed 1436 boat projects.

Troy

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361645#p361645 said:
Kismet » 30 Jul 2014, 18:07[/url]"]

and they weigh a ton.

That's very good information to know! Thanks for sharing.

Troy

Seadek is the best. Get it bloody. Get it muddy. Doesn't matter, take it to the carwash and spray it off...looks brand new. Great on the feet. Great for the heat. Quiets the boat down. Light as a feather.

Bought this stuff online... ill have to look for the exact website for you. Its Eva foam antifatigue mats. 4x8 rolls at 12.99 a roll aint bad. [attachment=-1]20140725_202235.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140725_202255.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406817015705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406817015705.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 910
  • uploadfromtaptalk1406817028655.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406817028655.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 910
https://www.ruralking.com/best-step-4-x-8-anti-fatigue-foam-floor-mat-bs123t.html
14.99 a roll actually

Its not 24 lbs like the website states. More like 10 lbs a roll. Pretty light if you ask me. I just glued it down to my existing aluminum floors and decks.

Coaltrain, how has the foam been holding up? It sounds like great product and less than a marine vinyl.

Venture Products makes Best Step product: https://store.venture-products.com/store/faq.htm

Can be used outdoors but will fade to extend UV.

Adelmo, that stuff seems to be holding up pretty good after a couple of months under the hot texas sun. It does get a tad hot though, but not scalding hot like painted aluminum....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361701#p361701 said:
-coaltrain- » 31 Jul 2014, 05:30[/url]"]Bought this stuff online... ill have to look for the exact website for you. Its Eva foam antifatigue mats. 4x8 rolls at 12.99 a roll aint bad. [attachment=-1]20140725_202235.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140725_202255.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you for providing the link. I think I have the exact materials I purchase from Harbor freight in the form of tiles. They sure worked nice on my concrete floor in the basement, and have been holding out for about for five years now without tearing. About the only thing I've noticed is they do have some memory, so if you put something really heavy on them, it will leave an indentation permanently. I do recall they were quite lightweight though. I'm guessing I would probably have to glue thls down, if it's the same stuff I have on my basement floor. The stuff was really light weight and would blow away in the wind. Good call! I will give this one some more thought.

Lots of great ideas here! Thanks for the input folks.

Troy

Yes. Glue is a must. If anything, I hope it will last a couple years out in the weather. Its cheap enough to replace every couple years.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361673#p361673 said:
onthewater102 » 31 Jul 2014, 02:55[/url]"]Yes - the Tuff Coat is available in several colors

I think one of the problems I'm going to run into with Tuff Coat is not being able to get it here in Alaska. Anything that is hazmat cannot be shipped here, or would cost three times the price of the product. I've run into this with some of the rustoleum deck paints, epoxy paints, etc. I'm pretty sure the Tuff coat falls under that category. I am going to check at Home Depot today as I know they sell a variety of paints that are designed to go over decks. The thing that I keep coming back to is how well they will they will adhere to the fiberglass reinforced panels.

Something I read in another post late last night as a possible candidate was Marine vinyl, but I'm guessing that stuff is pretty heavy. I bet it would be quite durable, although maybe a little bit too slick for boat bottom.

Best,

Troy

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361688#p361688 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 31 Jul 2014, 04:16[/url]"]Seadek is the best. Get it bloody. Get it muddy. Doesn't matter, take it to the carwash and spray it off...looks brand new. Great on the feet. Great for the heat. Quiets the boat down. Light as a feather.

This this is standard EVA foam from what I can tell. It looks like they've just repackaged it as a Marine product and charge five times the price. it's nice that it comes in a variety of colors, but again since they've put into a "specially" category they can charge more for it.

Troy

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361734#p361734 said:
cwphoto » 31 Jul 2014, 13:14[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361673#p361673 said:
onthewater102 » 31 Jul 2014, 02:55[/url]"]Yes - the Tuff Coat is available in several colors

... Anything that is hazmat cannot be shipped here, or would cost three times the price of the product.

That's right, I forgot you were in Alaska - I've still got the cans in the box it came in from BassPro - I'll double check but I don't remember there being any Hazmat markings to it.