Deck covering material-- your opinion please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361737#p361737 said:
onthewater102 » 31 Jul 2014, 08:51[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361734#p361734 said:
cwphoto » 31 Jul 2014, 13:14[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361673#p361673 said:
onthewater102 » 31 Jul 2014, 02:55[/url]"]Yes - the Tuff Coat is available in several colors

... Anything that is hazmat cannot be shipped here, or would cost three times the price of the product.

That's right, I forgot you were in Alaska - I've still got the cans in the box it came in from BassPro - I'll double check but I don't remember there being any Hazmat markings to it.

It appears that the Tuff Coat is water-based, which was surprising to me. How ls the durability? How is it around gasoline?
Being that it's water-based, Bass Pro will definitely ship to me, and appears they have a free shipping promo in effect at the moment.

As to the EVA foam, that company wanted $85 to ship to Alaska as they only ship UPS. Story of my life here with shipping. I was wondering if they supplied that with a tube of KY.... LOL's. Anyway, the Tuff coat is looking a lot better, and like the fact it can be sprayed. It would make for a nice uniform look to the boat interior.

Other than weight, I would think Marine vinyl would work okay too, probably a little bit lighter than carpet at least. I got all the rigid foam panels cut for the floor yesterday. I'm curious if you did the area at the Stern or just left it bear metal? I know I want to put a bilge pump back there and small battery, so not sure if it's a good idea to put the ridgid foam there with the gas tank and so forth. About $30 did the whole boat, and that it took about three hours. Not bad work in the sunshine.:)

Best,

Troy

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I prefer nice open, flat designs in boats. Aluminum is best, but wood works just fine. Then, I buy inexpensive rubber backed indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit where I want it. I don't glue it down at all and don't use padding - just a little velcro or double sided tape to keep it from sliding around.

In the winter, I take it out, clean it, and store it in a dry basement. It usually looks brand new for years and is easy and cheap to replace down the road.

Essentially, I'm just putting a rug down in the boat. It works great in the kitchen, why not a boat?

The Tuff Coat bonded very well to the FRP - when I smashed through the deck dropping the trolling motor much of the busted fiberglass was held together by a Tuff Coat skin. I rolled it on, only because I would have had to buy a hopper sprayer to install it that way, but I would have preferred to have sprayed it. I only applied it up in the front, so I haven't seen it exposed to gasoline yet. Guys on my CT Fishermen forum used it on the entire inside of their Boston Whalers, and it's held up there for them, so I'm sure it's been exposed to gasoline in their applications - not that anecdotes are good for much. If you should call the manufacturer and ask them before I do please let me know - I'll do the same.

I haven't finished in the back of my boat, but I will have some rigid foam atop the rear bench when all is said and done, but not over the space between the transom and the bench (that's getting an aluminum plate as I can't back it with foam.) Most of the foam I'm using is the 2 part urethane, but I will need some rigid to support for the deck above the livewell that's going in the rear bench, and pour foam won't give me any future access to the livewell without making a mess...I'm planning on a layer of the thinnest extruded polystyrene I can find, a layer of FRP, another layer of poly and my deck layer of FRP. I've got 6 pieces of aluminum square tubing running parallel to the keel atop the bench for my seat mounts to tie into, so the foam/FRP layering will be in narrow slots between these ribs.

I've heard of people using latex paint to seal the rigid foam and protect it from gasoline, though one scratch and that is for naught - though I can't come up with anything better so I'm probably going to do the same and hope for the best.