Deck Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saggyman

Reaction score
I just recently got a 1448 20 MV from Alumacraft and the front mini deck is not the same height as the bench with the storage compartment. Do you guys typically raise up the bench so it's level with the front ? What do you recommend. I'm wanting to connect the two places with aluminum framing with two compartments.

Here's a pic:
IMG_0238.JPG

Nice boat!
Lay a level or something straight across the center seat up to the edge of the front seat. How far off is it?
From the looks of the pic I'd shim it for sure. With alumnuim if you can find something like sqaure tubing to match that thickness. Or pretty close to it.
Id just rip down a two by four to thickness if it where me. But I can understand the all alumnuim thing as well.

in MY world, I am not a "fanatic" over everything matching or equal - in general.
If it is only an inch or two, I would just taper the deck to match the seat.
Instead of trying to re-engineer the existing structure.
You could get the drift of how that would function just by laying a sheet of plywood over the
two and see how you like it. If you don't like it, get a glass of Cold Sweet Tea, take a seat in your boat,
and ponder over your options and take it from there.
Depending on your skill set is the direction you will go . . .
great boat !!! have fun - be safe.

I am pondering the same idea for mine... Mines only a 14ft though and I want the middle bench seat to connect to front deck in one continues platform but I am not very handy to the point I trust making an aluminum frame.

I imagine it can't be too hard as its all right angles and measurements but I want it done perfectly. I will monitor this thread to see what you do as mine is the same set up but smaller.

Also I know there is a thread or two recently that shows a guy make a frame that came out amazing for the same thing we are looking for.

Seems like it's about 1" lower on the bench.

If I raise it then I guess I need to add a board to the lid of the storage box in the bench.

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

Why not put heavy 1/8" thick angle on the front at the level where the floor needed only covers the middle seat and space between. The thickness of the floor will make any taper/angle less. Then figure out a cover or such for the existing hatch.

DaleH said:
Why not put heavy 1/8" thick angle on the front at the level where the floor needed only covers the middle seat and space between. The thickness of the floor will make any taper/angle less. Then figure out a cover or such for the existing hatch.

That might work. Just leave it plain aluminum up front and maybe carpet it?

How thick of wood do people typically use for decks?

Latest posts