deep v-hull starcraft boat project, help needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltabbean

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there us anyone who can help me with my aluminum boat I just got off if Craigslist. I'm new to the boating world and I'm on a budget. It's a 14' deep v-hull aluminum boat, I'm not sure what year it is. It came gutted with no seats. It came with a minacota trolly motor 27lb thrust and my outboard is a 1960 evinrude fisherman 5.5 hp. I'm planning on doing a 6' casting deck 6" below the rim of the boat, along with 3 built-in compartments. My idea idea is to use 1x4 lumber for the edge along w/ 2x2 lumber for joist and cross braces and 1/2" plywood for decking. I'm not sure how to attach the lumber to the aluminum? For the middle bench I was planning on putting aluminum angle attached to the sides of the boat and placing a piece of 2x12 between them and then a 2x2 for support in the middle. I'll probably do the same in the the back of the boat. I also want decking inbetween the benches, how do i do that? All lumber will be sealed with fiberglass resin then carpeted. I know to use rivets with sealant for the aluminum on the aluminum, but not sure how to attach lumber to aluminum with out screws. Can I get some advice and answers please.

Here is a picture if the 14' starcraft

Attachments

• IMG_20140723_151843.jpg
    IMG_20140723_151843.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 328
You have a good platform to work with there.

There are a lot of different ways to modify your boat. Some are better than others, but there aren't really any wrong ways. In the end, most guys end up sitting in their boat for hours just thinking .... and then start building from the ideas they generate.

If using wood, you can screw braces into the ribs in the bottom of your boat, making sure not to puncture the hull beneath. Or, you can build a free-standing frame that just sits in the boat.

It really all depends on what types of materials you are comfortable working with and what tools and experience you have available.

I suggest taking a few hours and reading through the build threads on this site. You will find all kinds of ideas and plenty of pictures. Hundreds of guys have done exactly what you are doing - make sure check them out and ask specific questions to guys who have done what you want to.

A couple things to note early on though:

1. Don't use pressure treated wood (it reacts with aluminum). Use regular wood and seal it well with varnish or something.
2. Make sure to check for leaks BEFORE building anything.
3. Think about, read about, and draw a LOT of ideas before settling on one.
4. Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures!!!

Latest posts