Do I need a transom plate?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
Hey guys I finally finished the marine plywood remake of the transom on my 1982 Valco and its ready for the 2006 Honda 15 hp 4 stroke I'm picking up Friday. Should be an awesome little boat. However, there appear to be one heck of a lot of screws on the outside... and I had to use fender washers because the holes for the screws were pretty screwed up and I wanted a good seal.

transom outside.JPG

Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think guys, how can I get the motor on?

Well, Beercap, I wish you had taken a few more pictures a little bit closer, but first off, do you know that the transom is sound? If not, you will have to replace it and you can get rid of a lot of those holes at that time. A 4 stroke motor is very heavy so your transom needs to be in good shape. One other question, does the motor just clamp on or does it bolt threw the transom?

The transom is marine grade plywood and its 1.25" thick. Boat is rated for 20 hp. The Honda I'm putting on clamps on but also has bolt holes so it can be bolted on as well. This boat had an Evinrude 15 on it when I bought it (the guy kept his outboard as it was in great condition.)

If those are bolt heads and the motor bracket is going to be sitting on top of them then you are going to have a problem. You may be able to lay a sheet of plywood over them and counter sink the areas where the bolt heads are. Be sure to seal that wood up good.

I can see on your transom where there used to be a piece of plywood. The outline is easy to see. You are going to pull the 4 bolts that will be on the perimeter of the plywood and rebolt it to the transom.

Transom wood measured and cut from marine plywood. Yeah I know there's 5200 adhesive on it but I call it "noob prints" :mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 799
Just put some spar urethane on it and you'll be ok. I'm quite sure that my 1974 StarCraft just had a untreated plywood backer on it from the factory and that lasted 30 years!

It's treated with thompsons water seal I couldn't find epoxy in small enough quantities. Yeah I know ill have to spray again and again, but what about waiting for the thompsons to wear out a bit and then going over it with spar?