Do "Pro's" influence your tackle purchasing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Pro's influence your tackle purchase

• YES

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • NO

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
One of the things I think is cool about one of my local shops.

D&R sports is Randy VanDam's shop. Kevin's Brother. And Johnathon VanDam is Randy's Son. Anyhow, between Kevin, and Johnathon the stock at D&R is usually very up to date, and only contains what catches fish.

There are no NFL team crankbaits, or other nonsense like that.

In this case, the pro's influence an entire store's stock.

Oh jeez, do I hate to admit this...

I agree with Ahab...

I will read fishing reports for the day or two before I head out, but the information I take from the report is generally water depth and how deep the fish were and a basic, color idea. That's for Salmon trolling. If I go fish the Fox Chain, pretty much run my standard everyday color to start and jig weight based on wind.

:twisted: I voted "Yes". I think most of us tournament bass fishermen are definetley influenced by the Pro guys. I mean thats the name of the game, catching bass when it counts. Let the pro's do the leg work. :LOL2: Big shout out to KVD for the Redeye lipless cranks. Denny Brauer and his jigs.

NO, i buy stuff that catches my eye. my favorite bass worms are a $2.00 bag of Luck e strike black worms from wal mart and i've caught numerous bass on them. i still use the same colors and baits i used when i was a kid because they caught fish and still do (most of the time.) i've been watching Bill Dance since i was a kid and i can honestly say i've never owned a quantum product, or a booyah spinnerbait. my favorite saying comes from bill dance though. the best lure in your tackle box is the one you have the most confidence in.

Since everyone say's no (not just here but everywhere it seems) I find it odd that the Alabama rig is the hottest thing on fishing forums, and tackle shelves......
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I voted yes however the real truth is yes and no. Let me explain...

I think to an extent that everyone is influenced to one degree or another by Pro Fishermen, some more so than others. I look to the Pros more for techniques and ideas more so than this or that bait in this weight and this color and this brand, just becuase thats what they use, and won last weeks event with.

On the other hand no they don't really influence me much cause I am not into the "Trick of the Week". As the song goes "I am into basics and I don't like fads...". I have a hand full of basic baits I use all year long and they work pretty good and if I ain't catching any its pretty likely everyone else is doing about the same or worse. My plastic worm bait bag is pretty boring and uninspiring to look at. I have curl tail worms in 2 different sizes for the most part and in about 3 different colors. I got Lizards in the same 2-3 different colors. Why? Cause it works day in an day out. Now I might rig them a bit different and fish them with a different technique. Bottom line is I see no reason to use Lake Fork Baits exclusively and use them in every color of the rainbow just cause thats what my favorite Pro Angler used to win the Bass Masters Championship last week.

I generally dont frequent the Tackle shops on a regular basis to get a couple of these or a couple of those. I stop by occasionally usually at the end of the season and if they got what I use and its on sale, Ill buy 30 plus (if they have that many in stock!) 3/8 Chatter Baits at 1.49 each vs the normal 5.00 plus dollars a pop. I am all about what I NEED/WORKS and getting it at the cheapest price possible! As for colors I try to "match the hatch" so to speak, so there aint a lot of Fire Tiger patterns in my tackle bag nor are there too many Bubble Gum Pink plastic finess worms. Granted there might be a time and place for such a colored bait but I think those times are few and far between. But really...whens the last time you gutted a fish and found Fire Tiger colored Shad in their gut? Just saying...

I'd have to say "yes", but they're there's an "*" by my yes vote. :wink:

I've had several chances to talk to one of the local Bass Pro Shop's Pros, Matt Shura https://www.mattshura.com/, as I've taken a couple of free seminars he's hosted at BPS and he lives right behind my in-laws (which is kinda cool). We've talked shop, mostly rods & reels, but a little bit about tackle, lures, and such, and I've made some purchasing decisions based on his insight. I like his input as he's not all about plugging his sponsors; he gives real-world, non-Pro, tackle advice for people who don't get handed a bunch of (expensive) free stuff to 'try out'.

Some of it's because I don't have a lot of knowledge about this 'bass addiction' that everyone seems to have :roll: as I'm primarily a trout fisherman 8). I'm sure as I get more into the bass thing that ya'll are hooked on (pun intended), I'll follow more pro advice, but it's hard indulge on pro-grear, in pro-quantity, on a working-man's budget.

That said, I take pro-advice on hardware (rods, reels, etc.), wanting to get good stuff that lasts, but follow the lake angler with a full stringer when it comes to getting lures and such.

nomowork said:
Once my GF and I were shore fishing for trout. It was a very busy day on that lake and shoreline was very crowded. A group of older men were fishing next to us and just hauling them in one after another while others around them weren't even getting a nibble including us. My GF went to talk to them and found out that we were using the same bait. After they caught their limit, one of them showed us their secret which was a type of hook that I have never seen.

We found a tackle shop near home that carried that type of hook so on our next fishing excursion to that lake, we tried it and we were pulling them in while others around us weren't so lucky. There were people just waiting to take our spot when we were done.

In this case, it was literally the type of hook for that type of fishing.

You gonna share that type of hook with your trout-fishin' online brothren? [-o<

I haven't shore fished since I got a boat, but I'm curious. :wink:

The same thing happened to my buddies and I when we went on our annual 'Buddies Since High School' camping/fishing trip a few years back. We were trying just about everything we brought with us (a multiude of spoons, roosters, live baits, etc.) and weren't gettin' nuttin'! There happened to be a mini-tournament on the lake and most of those guys were pulling out fish left and right. We motored over, asked them about their toruney, etc., and what the heck they were using. Five minutes later we were pulling the boat on shore, a hour later at the Wally World in the nearest town, and and hour later pushing the boat back into the water. Sure enough, FISH ON!

The magic lures that they were using were "Cowbells" and/or "Ford Fenders" (trolling lures) with a 18"-24" leader and a live worm. Now I have a tackle box with 5-6 of them, different lengths, different colors, different brands, and they work 80% of the time...we were all glad we asked and have been using them at our mountain-lake hot-spots for 3-4 years now with great success.

up here,ford fenders and willow leafs with a wedding band or a flatfish are a staple in everyones tackle box if they troll lakes for trout or kokanee.

I really try to find lures that others aren't using. I will listen to what others are using but if the lure can be something that isn't used a lot on a certain body of water, I believe I have an advantage. I have a homemade lure for crappie and bluegill. The thing looks stupid and like the only thing you would catch is moss. It works great and will produce fish when the other guys are getting skunked.

If you mean 'pros' as in guides with articles in coastal fishing mags, then yes they do...but not 100%

I belong to two fishing clubs and both have local guides as guest speakers. These are the pros that I listen to, and many of
them will tell you where the productive spots are, structure to look for, and what they were using. As a beginner fisherman I could waste a lot of time & money on useless equipment without their local knowledge. My 2c. :)