Does Thompson's Water Seal contain chem. harmful to Alum. ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were filling voids with carpet wood and aluminum were not touching...the carpet was separating them. And I don't know about beer but soda pop can be very acidic.

Movement is still a possibility. I know it does appear to move during use, but wood and metal expand and contract at different rates with temperature. That little movement can cause rubbing. It doesn't take much. Ever see nails popping out of a wood deck? Trust me they move.

The reason I was curious about using Thompson's is as follows. I had just bought a new welded jon boat. The wood in the transom is covered with aluminum, but there are openings along each side of the wood where you can feel the wood in there. I just thought I might put some Thompson's on the wood there to help keep moisture from penetrating into this porous endgrain of the wood, as I know the wood is not treated or anything. Even if it is not exposed to direct rain, there is a lot of moisture in the air sometimes and I'm sure the wood would absorb this. Maybe I am looking into this too far, just thought it might be an easy way to help extend the life of the wood.

G Lap said:
The reason I was curious about using Thompson's is as follows. I had just bought a new welded jon boat. The wood in the transom is covered with aluminum, but there are openings along each side of the wood where you can feel the wood in there. I just thought I might put some Thompson's on the wood there to help keep moisture from penetrating into this porous endgrain of the wood, as I know the wood is not treated or anything. Even if it is not exposed to direct rain, there is a lot of moisture in the air sometimes and I'm sure the wood would absorb this. Maybe I am looking into this too far, just thought it might be an easy way to help extend the life of the wood.

maybe try some foam or silicone? just a thought. a pic would help.

Jay415 said:
If you were filling voids with carpet wood and aluminum were not touching...the carpet was separating them. And I don't know about beer but soda pop can be very acidic.

Movement is still a possibility. I know it does appear to move during use, but wood and metal expand and contract at different rates with temperature. That little movement can cause rubbing. It doesn't take much. Ever see nails popping out of a wood deck? Trust me they move.

i have no doubt about nails popping up during different temps, and beleive me, i had that deck bolted down tighter than snot. and also it was only on there during the summer so temp fluctuations were very minimal and also there were no "white marks" on the little bench in the bow. i think the front bench was not affected because it sits about a inch and a half below level with the bench with the marks so i used a peice of solid plastic block on top of the alum. square tubing that supported the deck in the middle to level it. and not that im arguing with you but even it were caused by rubbing for that amount"marking" i beleive it would have taken a lot longer than 5 or so months to occur. i also did a lil research on the acidity of soda pop having any affect on aluminum, and plus it would have had to soak from the top then around the edge and back between the wood and aluminum through the carpet and that doesent sound very likely to me. and i cant remember spilling anything also....any more ideas would be nice cuz im out of them and still think it had to be the thompsons.( i cant wait for 5 months to go by to take my experiment apart and see the results) by).....

Any update here or insight on Thompsons? Want to make sure it isn't going to damage my bench seats when I rivet some Thompsons sprayed wood to them.
I'm interested too. Getting ready to replace flooring in my 16 ft Alumacraft and wondering if I can put Thompsons on the plywood and then glue carpet on it.

Same boat (well, 12' Aluma, lol) - I have rebuilt transom wood and coated with Thompsons. Hoping Thompsons won't corrode.

Am also wondering what kind of bolts - I have some Zinc plated steel but see those may corrode. SS 316 with 3M 5200 sealant?

Would love any insight.

Thompsons is not a pernanent sealer, needs re applied at least every two years according to instructions...Mostly silicone but not sure about reactions to aluminum.

I've used Thompson's for many, many years. I have never, ever seen it hurt metal. I'm very confident that is not the cause.

That being said, if you put wet carpet over aluminum, the water trapped in between may eventually cause corrosion.

If it is saltwater trapped in there, it will DEFINITELY cause corrosion.

When laying plywood over things like bunks or decks, I lay a thick coat of paint over the metal to protect it against trapped moisture.

I've used Thompson's for many, many years. I have never, ever seen it hurt metal. I'm very confident that is not the cause.

That being said, if you put wet carpet over aluminum, the water trapped in between may eventually cause corrosion.

If it is saltwater trapped in there, it will DEFINITELY cause corrosion.

When laying plywood over things like bunks or decks, I lay a thick coat of paint over the metal to protect it against trapped moisture.
Might be a good place for bed liner or body under coat material to create a protective barrier...

Didn't read the whole thread, but I used to build a lot of decks and Thompsons IMO is crap. It's like car wax. After a few rains the water no longer beads up. When it first came out it said to reapply 4x a year.

Latest posts