Dumb Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysail

Reaction score
I have been fishing on and off for a while now, but just last year I got a little more serious about it. Its still all new to me. My reel say 8, 10, and 12 test and the rod is something similar, its a 6' medium spinning. Is it ok to use 15 or 20 lb test or do your guys stick to what the rod and reel say? What are superlines, braided lines?

Well I have used heavier line on reels many times before with no issues other than you cannot get as much line on the reel. If your reel says 8-10-12 then you shouldn't have a problem putting 15lb test on it. Going to 20lb test would probably be to much and then you can be getting into a problem where the drag and bearings are not designed to handle line of that strength. I have put 12-14lb test on reels that only were supposed to have 8 or 10 and never had any issues whatsoever. But I use good shimano reels always so that may be why I haven't ever had a problem.

You are going to find all sorts of specialty lines and IMO they are not worth the extra money (usually). It depends on what you are fishing for and what sort of presentation you are going for. A braided line will have virtually no stretch to it which can have its advantages and disadvantages. I like to use it when trolling for big pike. With 75' to 100' of line out the back of the boat a mono will have to much stretch. The braid will allow for a solid hookset with no stretch. Also with the no stretch I can tell if I hit a weed or if a fish hit it and just missed it because the line responds so much better for sensitivity. To be honest the fishing line of today has come so far that even the cheap brands are good compared to what was available 20yrs ago. Although I am a Trilene guy.

Remember two things, the only superline is the one that gets the fish in the boat and the only dumb question is the one not asked : )

Awesome reply, I don't want heavier line, I was just wondering what's ok because I have seen people doing it. I have 8lb trilene and I can barely break it when I get a snag

skysail said:
Awesome reply, I don't want heavier line, I was just wondering what's ok because I have seen people doing it. I have 8lb trilene and I can barely break it when I get a snag

Gotcha!

I use Power Pro 30# on both baitcasters and spinning, regardless of the reel "suggestion". Because the muskies like my bass spinnerbaits, I use 50# on it. I like fighting and releasing ASAP to prevent lactic acid from affecting the muscles of the fish.

I use Power Pro on all my of my rods. My ultralight spinning has 8#, an my other spinning rods have 10#. My baitcasters have 20#. The only exception is my catfishing rod, which I have 12# Trilene xl.

As for breaking your line, it helps to have a chunk of an old broomstick or shovel handle to wrap the line around when trying to break your line.