End of trip motor prep

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshootertexan

Reaction score
Back in the 70's my dad would always unplug the fuel line and let the motor run until all fuel was run out of the motor. This was done on the last time we were pulling the boat out of the water after a weekend of fishing or a week of vacation. Is this still a good practice with today's fuels on 2 stroke motors?

I'm curious to know this as well.

I do not do this any more unless it is a small 2 cycle like a chain saw or trimmer cause their carbs have soft plastic parts and I feel it helps with their lifespan.

With the outboard, I use stabil in all my fuel and call it a wonder addative. Everything gets stabil, and every thing starts each year.

My dad always did this, and I can say that he never once had any problems. And, I used to do the same, until I learned more about 2 strokes. The fact is, that gas and oil mix is the only lubrication the engine has, and take it away, you not only don't have combustion, you also don't have any lubrication. Granted, it's only a second or two, but I think that over time it would definitely affect the longevity of the engine.

As with wasilvers, I use stabil in every tank, along with a splash of seafoam. I don't run it out of fuel, even for winter storage, and it fires right up every spring.

Skidz

Same here my dad never had a problem. I on the other hand did when I used stabil and did not run it out of fuel. The motor sat during the winter and the float stuck. The carb was clean as a whistle inside but the float needle was stuck. I was just wondering since the fuels today have ethanol in them.

Latest posts