Engineering Fuel In Outboards?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zum said:
I still dont know...
Why do some newer outboards(2 stroke) call for certain oils...warranty void if not used?
While I agree that newer oils have additives that help oils burn clean, some will probably have to reach certain temperatures before that happens.
I'm sticking with buying the proper symboled oils...one less headache

While we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that states that IF the manufacture states that you can ONLY use their oil for warranty otherwise they will deny a warranty claim, they have to by law provide that warranty oil to you for FREE.

So as far as an OMC E-Tec motor, as especially the advanced option to use 100:1 oil. You would need to find an oil that states it is approved for E-Tec 100:1 option. I think Amsoil has one. If you use another oil yes you would void your warranty. This is because this said 100:1 has an advance additive package that is speced to that application of 100:1 and you need enough extra additives and an advanced base stock to provide lubrication at a very reduced volume of oil.

Example: So I can by law take a brand new Honda Accord right off the lot and dump the Honda CVT trans oil and put in Redline or Amsoil CVT oil and if the trans tanks 24,000 miles later, Honda by law still has to warranty my CVT. As long as that oil can meet a industry criteria that states it is an equivalent or better. And NO Honda and every manufacturer will NEVER approve another oil. So the only 2 manufactures of aftermarket oil I would trust to have BETTER oil then the OEMS is Redline and Amsoil. Below is what manufactures that Amsoil says their oil is equivalent or better then OEM and as a whole, and can be legally used as an alternative to, and in most cases what sub-standard OEM oil.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic CVT Fluid is recommended for belt- and chain-type continuously variable transmissions requiring the following:
Audi/VW TL 52180, G 052 180, G 052 516 • BMW 8322 0 136 376, 8322 0 429 154, EZL 799A • Daihatsu Amix CVTF-DC, CVTF-DFE • Dodge/Jeep NS-2, CVTF+4®, MOPAR® CVT 4
• Ford CVT23, CFT30, WSS-M2C933-A, Motorcraft® XT-7-QCFT, MERCON® C • GM/Saturn DEX-CVT, CVTF I-Green2 799A, ZF CVT V1 • Mitsubishi DiaQueen CVTF-J1, CVTF-J4
• Nissan NS-1, NS-2, NS-3 • Punch EZL 799A • Shell Green 1V • Subaru e-CVTF, i-CVTF, Lineartronic® CVTF, K0425Y0710, Green 2 • Toyota/Lexus TC,

I am not a fan of OEM oils, especially in transmissions. Transmission oils I feel need to be a group 4 to a group 5 Ester based oil. When some ATFs like Toyota WS are group 2/3 semi-synthetic oil. One exception is Hyundai after 2013 1/3 were they use a factory group 5 Ester based ATF oil right from the factory, why you ask......because that is when they started designing transmission in house and ANY trans engineer if having a choice would want to run an Ester based group 5 ATF if allowed to by the manufacture.