everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrShanks2U said:
One more thing...the hull on my boat is textured. It's not smooth like newer jon boats. It has a texture that is dimpled all over like a golf ball. Would I be able to use steelflex on this boat?

The texture shouldnt pose a problem. It may help the adhesion.

Troutman3000 said:
good luck, it's pretty stinky...

Actually Steelflex doesn't smell bad at all. I didn't even where a mask, let alone a respirator or open window, and I did both my boats in a closed garage.

This stuff is really pretty easy to use......it's just the fear of the unknown for the rookies that haven't used it before.

Main thing are are
1. Measure accurately
2. Mix Thoroughly
3. Work at 70 degrees or above
4. Don't attack too big of an area. 3-4 cups at a time max. Less if working alone
5. Take your time

For those that used steelflex on the inside of their boat, are you able to paint it on with a brush when it comes to getting around the ribs :?: Or do you have to use a roller?

I didn't paint the inside but you could use a brush with it as well. I used foam brushes on the out side as well to get in all the corners and push the Steelflex around. It's not like paint where you'll use a roller tray and fill the roller with paint and apply. The best way I can describe it is like painting with glue or Syrup. The best way I found to apply it is drizzle a line down the boat then push it around with a foam roller or a foam brush. You could probably use a regular brush, but I would be concerned with getting bristles from the brush stuck in the steelflex.

How long did your orders take to arrive from them??? Just curious. They got my check on the 24th. and cashed it, but they have not called or anything to confirm. [-o<

perchin said:
How long did your orders take to arrive from them??? Just curious. They got my check on the 24th. and cashed it, but they have not called or anything to confirm. [-o<

Its coming from Florida so it should be there soon.

perchin said:
I hope so, they are only calling for this weekend to be nice out. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Sunny and 80 degrees Friday here. Going to steel flex like a mad man and hopefully hit the water real quick easter morning.

Troutman3000 said:
perchin said:
I hope so, they are only calling for this weekend to be nice out. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Sunny and 80 degrees Friday here. Going to steel flex like a mad man and hopefully hit the water real quick easter morning.

well we won't get into the 80's, but I have hopes for the 60's. And I have about the same plan :)

Now that steelflex has been used by so many here and for so long, how well has everyones boat holding up with it? Has anyone noticed any cracking ect. from the flex of an aluminum boat? I have a 1990 "1754" polarkraft that I am thinking about putting the steelflex on but I have heard on other sites that the steelflex can crack with the flex of an aluminum boat?

I saw where one loose rivet caused a depression in one guys steel flex. I am going rebuck the ones I can and then apply 5200 on the inside where appropriate. Then I will steel flex.

I am so **** anxious for my steelflex to arrive, I can barely sit still. The check just cleared yesterday though, so it looks like I won't have it in time for this 3-day weekend. Maybe that is a good thing, because temperatures aren't going to be quite warm enough anyway. My plan was to borrow every space heater I could find in order to get my garage up to 75. :?

Heres a question I don't think has been asked yet. Can you apply steelflex over wood? Since I'm going over the inside of my boat with it, I'm trying to figure out what to do at the transom. My transom wood is old, but I sanded on it and it is still solid so I'm not going to touch it other than some sanding and Thompsons.

WhiteMoose said:
Heres a question I don't think has been asked yet. Can you apply steelflex over wood? Since I'm going over the inside of my boat with it, I'm trying to figure out what to do at the transom. My transom wood is old, but I sanded on it and it is still solid so I'm not going to touch it other than some sanding and Thompsons.

YES

deerslayer said:
Now that steelflex has been used by so many here and for so long, how well has everyones boat holding up with it? Has anyone noticed any cracking ect. from the flex of an aluminum boat? I have a 1990 "1754" polarkraft that I am thinking about putting the steelflex on but I have heard on other sites that the steelflex can crack with the flex of an aluminum boat?

I applied the Steelflex with teflon (I think they call it super slick) on my duck boat with mud motor and later found several areas had cracked and flaked off on the bottom. I also applied it to the sides, but no flaking there. I assume the bottom cracked due to running over some obstacles ... not logs or rocks but shallows ... grass, mud flats etc. The fact that it stayed put on the sides, tells me the cracking was not due to flex of the hull.

I was pretty upset with this result as they advertise the use of this stuff on airboat hulls and figured I wouldn't be nearly as rough on mine as an airboat operator would. I would also mention that simply "roughing up" the exterior prepatory to application was a little understated. Again for my puroposes, I believe really scratching up the hull would have made it adhere much better ... maybe with a VERY heavy grit sand paper or even better, a braided wire brush (disk) on an angle grinder.

I'm curious to hear everyone else's results after some heavy use.

Thus far mine had held up really well. I do notice some scratching from beaching the boat, but it's not too much and I can touch up the spots every year if need be. I haven't seen any cracks, so I hope I am not jinxing myself. SF has completely sealed my boat, and I haven't had a problem yet after a season. I will keep an eye on it, but I expect it to continue to be fine moving forward.

I am about to order this stuff really soon and after reading this post I am a bit worried. I tend to beach my boat quite a bit and dont want to spend all this money on paint if it is just going to flake off. Can somemore people that have done this please chime in? Thanks

Joe