Failed Boat Patch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geozigla

Reaction score
I patched my aluminum canoe with rivets and 5200. It still leaks around the rivets. I can't afford any more 5200 I'm 13. Is ther anything else i could use. I have been thinking about using aluminum tape temporarily. By the way i use my boat on saltwater.

Throw up some pictures if you can. As far as the fiberglass, it would probably work if it was don well. Hard to say what else can be done without seeing it.

First, I like the fact that your only 13 and fixing things on your own! =D> If you did not use self sealing rivets then the water could be coming out the back side of the stud which would be inside your conoe.. Self sealing rivets will be closed on the back side so water can not come from the outside of the rivet and through the center of the rivet. If you where able to drill a clean hole, use 5200 and self sealing rivets then you might have a stress crack

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 504
I've used conventional rivets for years without a problem. The mandrel breaks, leaving the base of it in there, and a dab of 5200, or other sealant squeezed in there works wonders. May not be ideal, but I know that it will work for a number of years. I'm curious to see the pictures to see what the issue may be.

I used conventional rivets and i dount think i covered the rivets good enough with 5200

Geo, look for the smaller size tube, like a toothpaste tube. It is priced lower and sounds like you may not need a whole cartridge for your repair. Remember the slow cure variety needs several days to completely cure verses the fast cure.