Finally went for some saltwater action in Jacksonville

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
I usually run Black Creek and the St Johns river south to the Shands Bridge for Catfish. But everyone keeps telling me how I need to go north to the Sisters Creek, Browns Creek area and fish for Red's and all sorts of other saltwater fish.

So today I loaded up and towed the boat 50 miles north to the Sisters Creek Boat ramp near Hecksher Dr. I ran all the way north to Ft George Inlet and then even further north to Nassau sound. Then all the way down to the Dames Pt bridge and back out to the Mayport Jetty.

Im glad I finally got up there and took a look around. It was kinda nice going up sisters creek and I liked heading out into the ocean at Ft George Inlet, Nassau Sound, and Mayport. When I got up this morning the weather said winds NE 6mph. I was unaware that that was the beginnings of what is becoming a "noreaster". By the time I got out to the inlets the wind was blowing out of the NE at about 20-25mph, and heading out to sea there were some huge swells inside the inlets. Nothing like going uphill and downhill in a boat pretty fun really. I got some strange looks from the guys in big offshore rigs. LOL. I didn't have any trouble though.

There were a lot of people out and everyone I talked to had the same luck as me NONE! I guess the weather coming in has the fish spooked.

While it was kinda cool to go near the ocean and around that area. I would rather just go the boat ramp 1 mi from my place and enjoy my day more than driving 100 miles roundtrip. I don't like boating or fishing in shipping lanes and dealing with all the industral stuff around the port.

Here is a couple pics from today...The guy with the Ranger bay boat was fishing when the tide went out early in the morn and when he realized it was on the bottom it was too late. He just fished off the sandbar till the tide came back in.

Attachments

• dryland.jpg
    dryland.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 84
  • cg.jpg
    cg.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 84
  • damespt.jpg
    damespt.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ftgeorge.jpg
    ftgeorge.jpg