Fire Extinguisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me suggest that the USCG sets the minimum requirements for many boating standards and equipment, including fire extinguishers. States can and do impose requirements beyond federal standards...as suggested, know the regs in the states in which you boat. Be sure the extinguisher is USCG approved and rated for the kinds of fires that might occur...Type ABC gets my vote. There are simple guidelines for the proper use of an extinguisher, but they are easily overlooked in times of stress, so review them or take an appropriate course, the lessons apply to marine and non-marine situations. The safety department at your company may offer such a class. Finally, check the charge on your tin's extinguisher. Time, sun extreme temperatures and vibration can take their toll.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356316#p356316 said:
JoshKeller » Yesterday, 11:14 pm[/url]"]wal mart in spring mills carries the PWC one and the regular boat one with gauge. they run $10 and $17- just had to get a new one. If you get checked at river bottom, they will ask to see it

depending on the mood of the CO, wouldnt batteries in your compartment be included in this?

5. Closed stowage compartments in which combustible or flammable materials are stored.

Do each of those come with a mounting bracket?

Get two, keep one by your controls and one under your front deck.

When you catch fire, it's going to get hot and run you away from the fuel / engine area quickly. Or it's going to go boom and you'll be disoriented. I can grab the one at the controls easily but if I have to escape immediately I can grab the one up front and fight my way back to the 2nd one.

Seven - ten seconds of juice goes quick so plan your attack before it happens.

Walmart's Kidde PWC 5 fire extinguisher has only a 2 year warranty, while the Kidde 10 has a 6 year warranty, for $7 more. A better deal. Both include a plastic mount.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357538#p357538 said:
KMixson » Yesterday, 20:06[/url]"]Remember if using a fire extinguisher that you need a B:C type extinguisher. Most A:B:C types are corrosive to aluminum.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Safety first!!!

IMG_20140627_192448_zpskxfslxkd.jpg

I sold and serviced fire extinguishers for several years. If you can get one that is all metal head and handles. The cheap,plastic ones, kidde etc are not that reliable. Also mount it away from your gas setup. Last thing you want to do is have to get close to the fire to get your ext.