First boat looking for some speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Stansbury

Reaction score
I bought my first boat as some of you already know, its a 1648 and it came with a 25hp johnson outboard, but I would like to put something bigger on it maybe 60hp. I installed float pods and one of the tiny boat nation aluminum transom thats 2 inches thick what would you guys recommend?

Attachments

• 20230730_074904.jpg
    20230730_074904.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230730_074251.jpg
    20230730_074251.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230730_074238.jpg
    20230730_074238.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 9
I think it 550Lbs, but wouldn't that change with the addition of the float pods?

A 60 should move it along nicely. Good looking boat.
Thanks it definitely didn't look like that when I bought it I did the paint job and bed
I think he meant what's the hp rating on the hull. Most riveted 1648 are 30hp. I'd watch the weight if your looking at hanging a 60hp on it the 4 strokes are north of 250lbs.
Would that change if it was riveted and welded when I put in the aluminum new transom?

Thanks it definitely didn't look like that when I bought it I did the paint job and bed

Would that change if it was riveted and welded when I put in the aluminum new transom?
No whatever the Identification plate says it's rated for is what's its rated for regardless of adding pods or changing the transom.

Your risk is...if you over power your boat and have an accident of any sort, you will be held responsible. No insurance co will insure a boat with over the mfgr hp rating.

Stick with the mfg's horse power rating. A lot of twist with the torque in a 60 hp motor not to mention the heavy weight hanging off the back...........no need to hurry you will get there just fine with a lower hp motor and burn less fuel to boot.

My Alumacraft 1648 is rated for 35hp. A lot of boats have a rating for a tiller and a separate higher one for a steering console though. If you happen to have a console rating of 40hp and are really wanting to push it to it's limits, I'd suggest a 2 stroke, 3 cylinder, Yamaha 40hp. You can convert them to 50hp and even more past that if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

I think that's probably overkill though. That hull will ride good going straight on smooth water, but basic flatbottom hulls like that don't maneuver well at all in the corners from my experience. 25hp is about the sweet spot for power to weight ratio and being able to tick along at a pretty decent clip and get good fuel economy.

I'm no expert by any means, but that's a jon boat right? Would it even be safe at speed? I bought a deep V just because I wanted a boat that could get up an go without getting squirrely. I got rid of a shallow V hull Alumacraft because even with a 14 HP on the back it was a scary ride and it would sort of spin out on me like a car on ice if I tried to turn sharply. Not fun.

Wow, GREAT paint job! I take it you used a stencil kit? Which one?

I have a 16' Princecraft with a 74" beam. The 15" transom version is rated for 35 HP, the 20" is rated for a 40. The previous owner replaced the transom with an aluminum tubing one and raised it to 20". Then I added steering and a side console.

I was going to put on an Evinrude 40, but came across a 50 for a great price. They are the identical motors with different carbs, so I put it on, figuring I could swap hoods if I wanted to.

It runs great, but I have to be careful. If I pin the throttle and start trimming it up, around 36 MPH it starts getting really squirrely, and porpoises badly. I'm guessing it would top out close to 40, but I don't want to find out what happens at that speed.

That being said, it runs awesomely at 30 MPH and will do it with 5 people on board. In my opinion, 40 HP is the right max for this particular hull, as per the manufacturer's rating.

Even with the pods and aluminum transom core, I would recommend you stay about where the manufacturer says is safe. Probably about 40 HP.

Get a really nice self inflating life jacket that makes you look great when you wear it.

Get a really really sharp serated knife with a lanyard.

Speed in a boat is awesome until you hit wake, make a turn, or can't stop.

You may get knocked silly for a few seconds or get dunked so the self inflating life jacket is worth every dime.

The serated knife will cut through rope quickly and the lanyard will keep it within grab distance in case you are under water drowning.

I would think 25 hp would make your hair white enough.

What is the mfgr max rated hp for that boat ??
Please answer so you can get a proper answer. What max. number of persons and max. engine HP does the USCG plate state?
There should be a plate stating maximum weight, passengers and hp .

PLEASE answer the question.

There are HUGE differences in builds. A 16' boat can be rated for only 15 HP or a boat the same size, but built strong, can hold a 70 HP.

So if you have a boat rated for 15 HP, and you put a 70 or even a 40 on it, it could become a life-threatening situation.

Please answer so you can get a proper answer. What max. number of persons and max. engine HP does the USCG plate state?

PLEASE answer the question.

There are HUGE differences in builds. A 16' boat can be rated for only 15 HP or a boat the same size, but built strong, can hold a 70 HP.

So if you have a boat rated for 15 HP, and you put a 70 or even a 40 on it, it could become a life-threatening situation.
There is no USCG plate only the HIN plate

Okay, took it out today and with me and the wife about 400lbs total I got up to 19mph I definitely want more speed. 30 mph would be great I was reading that I maybe able to convert my 25hp johnson outboard to a 30 or 35hp motor anyone have any idea on that? Thanks for the help