First Rod Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Well some of ya know from an older post that I wanted to get into making my on lures or baits with my son. well after some trials I found what me and my son enjoy now and thats custom rod building, Thanks goes out to Bassaddict and all else that gave me great feed back and where to go on getting more info.

So we first made a PINK rod for my daughter, its a pink IM6 medium mudhole blank with fuji alconite guides and a mudhole spilt grip handle kit featuring the American Tackle “Aero” soft touch spinning seat.

Now for some reason my camera started sucking so the pics are not very good.

I planned on doing a handle kit on my first few builds, I want to get comfortable on other things first before I shape a whole handle set up. But, I still did do a few customize things on the handle kit it self.

I changed up and put a EVA grip behind the reelseat, it double humps a bit as you can see, but I learned a lesson on this choice.

compared to the cork
57e7fe58.jpg

DSC04881.jpg

I did find out I will be anal about a fore grip, I did adapt a eva tip on this one and my daughter loves it, I on the other hand have discovered that " I don't know what I want yet", I may leave the fore grip off on some of my own rods.
DSC04878.jpg

DSC04877.jpg

The over all finish epoxy is indeed a task, I had the most trouble out of everything on applying finish epoxy, this will diffently be practice makes perfect. The worst thing of it all was accidently touching the tacky epoxy, this is where I kept messing up, most of all blemishes are from this, and I was being carefull :shock:
DSC04950.jpg

You can barely see it but I put her name on the rod and the year
DSC04949.jpg

I went ahead and tried Marbliezing and it turned out great, the camera shot can't justify it well enough. The color scheme is awsome up close, I will be practicing this for sure.
DSC04947.jpg

DSC04948.jpg

She loves the pole as we love the new hobby, I have another project lined up already, next is the wife's, and its Purple :mrgreen: So I'll be posting on that one as WE build it :wink:

Awesome job man.. it won't be long and you'll be a master rod builder.. keep up the good work

Good job my friend, kudos to the children =D> The rod came out pretty narlly. I always wanted to try this but never did, looks like your daughter beat me to it :mrgreen:

That looks great! Im glad you and your children found a hobby you really enjoy, and something you can do inside for the winter. Maybe when you feel comfortable making them for others i can have you make me one and we can try it out on a fishing trip over in Indiana.

=D> =D> Nice job, you'll find out how addictive it can be. I have built a few now and have some great feed back on the performace of the rods, right now I think it is just a relaxing thing to do. When I feel I'm at a hgher level I plan on taking custom orders. I'm going to need a way to pay for this hobby :lol: