First Time boat mod Semi V lone star Boat update 7/1/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here it isa $50 v jon. looks very ruff. I have big hopes for this boat what do you guys think. I would like to put a front deck , rear deck, some good paint and a floor. If i take that middle seat out will it make it not as strong and fold like a taco? Needs some help with this one guy.

what would u guys do to get the cool seal off?

Attachments

• !cid__06221756.jpg
    !cid__06221756.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,531
  • !cid__06221756a.jpg
    !cid__06221756a.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,531
  • !cid__06221756b.jpg
    !cid__06221756b.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • !cid__06221756c.jpg
    !cid__06221756c.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • !cid__06221756d.jpg
    !cid__06221756d.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,531
Yeah I think if you take that seat out it will taco. But that's not to say you can't brace it. I know some of the other guys on here have a boat with side braces like that, maybe they will chime in as to what to do.

looks like it has some sturdy bracing up the sides of the seats and across the floor, if you left those intact and put your floor just above the cross brace i'd think it would be ok. i've seen that exact style somewhere on here, hopefully they have an opinion. i left my middle seat in and only dropped the floor between it and the rear bench. is that a 14'?

I've seen 2 of those exact boats here in the last month or so.
Can't remember the name but I know theres posts somewhere here on it.
Welcome to the site.
I'm not sure if it would taco or not,,,would you keep the bottom rib and side brace?

Zum said:
I'm not sure if it would taco or not,,,would you keep the bottom rib and side brace?

Yes the ribs and side brace are going to stay. Been sanding the sides to get that dang cool seal off. That is some strong stuff.Going to work on it when i get to the shop tonight. will show u the side i have been working on. any one know how they think i should make the decks?

Think it's a lonestar.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8619&hilit=built+like+a+tank
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7510&hilit=lonestar
There may be more here as well.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4191&hilit=lonestar
Havn't seen this guy in awhile but I remember his console,thought it was cool.

thanks any thang u guys would do next? i am sanding the side s and pulled the wood off the transom last night.

Attachments

• !cid__.jpg
    !cid__.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,330
OK just got home from working on the boat... While i was working on the bottom i have seen a lot of chalk. That's where the problem comes in at. I took all the chalk out "and i mean a lot of chalk" and it looks like the seams must leak. What can i get to put on them to make them water tight? Need some help on this one. I will get some pic on when i go back to the shop. will be sat evening + got to work 7 days this week plus the wife's b-day is Friday. " got to spend some time with her. been working on the boat all week when i got off work. YOU know if mama's mad every ons in for it. lol

Get rid of all the steel.Only use stainless steel.I don't know why you would need that steel cross brace since you are replacing the wood.The outer wooden transom plate should be sealed with water sealer and a bead of 3M 5200 marine sealant run around it.This will keep water from setting between the hull and wood,and will prevent rot and corrosion.

The caulk might have been a factory installed sealant or gasket material for the hull. This would have helped seal everything. Whether or not this is the case, you can use something called 3M 5200. It comes in two sizes. I got the bigger caulk sized one at Home Depot for $10. It takes a while to cure, so keep it dry for several days.

Also use it on your new transom wood and holes you make with the new bolts and stuff. It will seal it completely. Make sure not to use pressure treated wood, use a quality water sealer as well.

That rectangular spot under the wood on the outside of the transom was the shape of the original wood plate.They help keep the outboard clamp from rubbing holes in the transom.The old small outboards used clamps, were bad to vibrate loose, and rub holes in the transom.

i am learning this is going to be a slow go lol but fun thanks for all the help guys i know zipp about how to buld a boat but if you give a some trees and a little time i can make some nice looking cabinets

OK got all the old sealant off the boat bottom and water tested it. well it leaked but not in the seams, on the under ribs. there was no sealant there. so i flipped it back over and took a good look at it and said the heck with it i am going to pull off the home made runners " i did not make was on the boat when i got it". well after grinding off 42 bolt that had more rust on them than my first truck, i pulled them off only to find what looks to be tar. i go my measurement and i am going to make some this weekend. Take a look at the pic and see what u thank i should do about the tar. It is about a inch thick but is cracking in places.. SHOULD I TRY TO GRIND IT OFF VS HEAT IT UP AND SPREAD IT OUT UNDER THE RIBS

Attachments

• !cid__06301829.jpg
    !cid__06301829.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 258
  • !cid__06301830.jpg
    !cid__06301830.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 258
  • !cid__06301923.jpg
    !cid__06301923.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 258

Latest posts