Fishing in chocolate milk 6/9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish devil

Reaction score
:twisted: 7:15AM-12:30PM Partly cloudy, calm turning breezy, 70-75 water temps. 60-78 air temps, muddy water.

Chocolate milk, yep that's what it looked like today. I knew the bite was going to be tough after the wicked rainstorms dirtied the water. I stuck with a 3/8 SK jig/chunk for a while. Finally nailed one in heavy vegatation. Probably around 1 1/2 lbs. Tried a few other tactics with no luck. Broke out the white Booyah Boogee Bait and started chucking around the flooded brush. I managed to pull out a few 1lb. largemouth. Also landed a bullhead on the same lure. Around 11:45 I picked up my lipless crank setup and proceeded to chuck away in open water. Kaboom!!!! A few cast later I ended up with the best of the day at 4lbs 3oz. The fish put on a hell of a show leaping 2' out of the water twice.

It always looks like chocolate milk on the Yazoo and lower Mississippi. Good choice with the rattling crank bait. Silver and blue or silver and black Rat-L-Traps are great for covering lots of water in turbid conditions here. Also, dark jigs (black, brown purple). The light colored ones reflect the dirty water. I'll use a black and purple with a rattle attached to it in muddy water.

Maybe it's just a brown trout thing, but yellow was (and still is) my go to color of choice in high, stained waters like that. Browns absolutely crush anything yellow in those conditions, but I've never bass fished in those conditions either. Time to get out your yellow highlighter Sharpies and color one in.

Great fish in the pics, btw.