Flat Bottom or Semi V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex33

Reaction score
I've finally convinced the wife that a big aluminum boat is practical for our needs. I had a Weldbilt 1860 semi V years ago and loved it. My question is now we have a family of 4, so space is a big plus, and the extra deck space with a flat bottom would be nice. So I'm looking at 1872s and 2072s. Here is what I need the boat to do:

Run shallow
Bowfish/Flounder gig
We will be bass fishing out of this boat for my son's High School Fishing Team
White Bass fishing in deep water
Catfishing in deep water

I can't afford a bass boat, a center console semi V, and a deep and wide flat bottom, so there will be trade offs I know, is fishing midlake doable in a big flat bottom? Jon boats are light, so is the semi V really doing much? Anyone have experience using both hull styles?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I have experience with both hull styles, although in smaller boats than your talking about, 1648. I run primarily in rivers with occasional lake use. My 02 Crestliner 1648 MV handles the rapids, waves and chop much smoother than a flat bottom. The difference is being able to run at wot through a stretch in comfort that in a flat bottom would loosen you fillings. In my opinion the small trade of with loss of a little deck space is more than worth it with the MV design. Although I’ve noticed all MV aren’t created equal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you will find the selection for true 'flat' bottom boats in the size you want very slim. I think about all of them will be at least mod. V.

Latest posts