Flathead Lake Montana

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always scorned pontoon boats. They aren't dry in 3 footers, they are horrible to trailer, launch and retrieve, they track horribly in a crosswind or following sea, and I have personally been on one when it "submarines". Everyone thinks of it as a big moving patio and when it's in motion they still think they can walk all over the place, all of a sudden too many people are on one side up front and boom, the deck is underwater. It's not a big deal, just back off the throttle and it pops up like a cork, but still, they aren't rugged, dry vessels to me. But here is the funny thing- I just got a place on a lake and I'm looking at getting one. They are awesome if you can pick and choose your days and you don't have to trailer them. My friends are all going to give me a hard time if I get one, then they are gonna love it when they come visit.

My first time on a pontoon boat while visiting my son in Missoula Montana. We rented this 22' pontoon boat. Brand was "Bentley". Powered by a 150HP Suzuki. Placard says it up to 12 people. We had plenty of room for our four adults and two grandkids.

Pontoon boats are a lot of fun.

View attachment 116145
The question is, what did ya catch??? I see poles there!!

I have always scorned pontoon boats. They aren't dry in 3 footers, they are horrible to trailer, launch and retrieve, they track horribly in a crosswind or following sea, and I have personally been on one when it "submarines". Everyone thinks of it as a big moving patio and when it's in motion they still think they can walk all over the place, all of a sudden too many people are on one side up front and boom, the deck is underwater. It's not a big deal, just back off the throttle and it pops up like a cork, but still, they aren't rugged, dry vessels to me. But here is the funny thing- I just got a place on a lake and I'm looking at getting one. They are awesome if you can pick and choose your days and you don't have to trailer them. My friends are all going to give me a hard time if I get one, then they are gonna love it when they come visit.

We traveled across the lower part of this lake about 5 miles up through a chain of islands. Once into the big part of the lake, there was pretty big chop & whitecaps. We turned back to the more protected part of the lake. Yeah, it was not good in rough water. I drove it around for awhile in the lower calmer part of the lake. It is a lot different than my V hull for sure. I wouldn't say it behaved worse in the wind than my boat, but then my boat is a heck of a lot lighter.

Before I never really would have considered a pontoon. Now that I've experienced being out on one, I have an appreciation for what they can offer. If the priority is roominess, comfort and family fun in protected waters a pontoon should, IMO, be considered. I think the last part of your last sentence is dead bang on.

The question is, what did ya catch??? I see poles there!!

Lines never got wet. We were too busy jumping into the water -- to the point Mrs Ldubs reminded me I was turning 72 soon. :)

99% of the fishing I do is trolling for trout, usually with down riggers. I could see doing that in a pontoon. Anchoring and bait fishing would be good too I think. Plugging along a bank probably not so much.

We were just up in Eagle River, WI. We always rent a 20 something tri-toon, had a 150 Merc this year, very nice ride. Pulled a 3 person tube & multiple skiers with no problem.

There were several toons there with 350's, one with a 400.

Is your son in Missoula? My brother is ~30 miles NE of there in Potomac, on the Blackfoot River. Beautiful area. Next time you're up there check out the Seeley lake area.

Meant to say...

Tri-toon is a way better ride than a pontoon. Some chop doesn't faze it, smoooth.

We were just up in Eagle River, WI. We always rent a 20 something tri-toon, had a 150 Merc this year, very nice ride. Pulled a 3 person tube & multiple skiers with no problem.

There were several toons there with 350's, one with a 400.

Is your son in Missoula? My brother is ~30 miles NE of there in Potomac, on the Blackfoot River. Beautiful area. Next time you're up there check out the Seeley lake area.

Yes, my son and his family are in Missoula. His wife is originally from there. He went fly fishing for the first time in the Bitterroot river. Got a pike minnow and a whitefish. And yeah, that area is all about the outdoors. Beautiful rivers, lakes and mountains. Don't think I would like the winters much though.