Free Sears 14vfooter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redbug said:
Darn I was hoping they were bowling balls I was gonna claim them.
they make great structure . My 1 farm pond has around 75 sitting on the bottom. The local alley is still looking for them. I go in with an empty bag and leave with 3 new additions to my rock pile

Name with held to protect the innocent :lol:

I'm gonna tell Patrick Dowd at Thunderbird Lanes. :lol:

esquired said:
Do not worry about removing the old glue until you figure out what you are going to do - if you are putting in a deck, then you will never see the glue - if not, sand it right before you apply new glue so you have a nice clean surface.

Any thoughts on products to clean up the alum? It needs a good scrub down!

Any thoughts on products to clean up the alum? It needs a good scrub down!

The outside hull? I bought some stuff (can't recall the name) at WalMart to clean my Tracker hull with. It did well on the waterline stains, but apply it on small sections and rinse well! Basically, I think it mildly etches the aluminum, so follow the directions on any type that you may find.

As far as your question on the other board, as to what the boat is, the HIN should be right here.
normal_IMG_16761647resize.jpg

I should be stamped into the transom, or into a plate riveted on the transom. They were required on all hulls after 1972. Some manufactures put them there before then, but I doubt they would put one on a low price Sears boat. You say your title says 1973, which, if it is indeed true, you would have a HIN. As Bob (tashasdaddy) pointed out on the iboats board, HINs were required the same year that capacity plates were. Now, looking at your picture of the inside of the transom, I saw a little plate on the port side. But, that didn't quite look like the plates that were required in 1972. The ones that were required, starting in 1972, are the same as the ones still required today. It should look a lot like the one you have on your Grumman. Here is a picture.
CapacityPlate.gif

Now, if your boat doesn't have this, it has either been illegally removed, or is pre 1972. If the boat has a different style of rating plate, it is probably pre 1972. If it is pre 1972, it more than likely won't have an HIN, and therefore, identifying it is going to be a royal pain in the neck. Good luck, keep us updated, and let me know if you need help researching anything. As I said in the watering hole, I am bored out of my mind here.

I am new here.... have actually been lurking for a few days as I am begining to mod an old 14' alumacraft. I bought some stuff called Power at Meijer to clean up the boat before I prep it for paint (on sale for less then 3 bucks and didn't even use half of it). It is actually for mobile homes I think, but can be used on any aluminum. It did a great job. I will post some pics when I figure out how to and I have some more time.

Welcome to the boards alumacraftjoe. I saw that you had joined a couple days ago. Keep us updated on your conversion. I love Alumacrafts.

For posting pics, start an account with photobucket. Upload your photos on there. Then, once the image is uploaded, copy the IMG code that photobucket puts under the image. Then, paste that on here, and it will post your picture.

I use this sites gallery, creat a folder and upload pictures to it. open the picture and right click, select properties and paste that between and you're done.

alumacraftjoe said:
I am new here.... have actually been lurking for a few days as I am begining to mod an old 14' alumacraft. I bought some stuff called Power at Meijer to clean up the boat before I prep it for paint (on sale for less then 3 bucks and didn't even use half of it). It is actually for mobile homes I think, but can be used on any aluminum. It did a great job. I will post some pics when I figure out how to and I have some more time.

Welcome! What local lakes do you plan on hitting?

Thanks for the welcome.. this site is great! I bought the boat this summer for a couple of hundred bucks and used it several times at Deam lake and the Henryville forestry so I would have a good idea of the mods I wanted to make. I plan to fish Patoka lake (river section) and any other places where I don't get swamped by boat traffic. Where do you fish locally? I have fished all over with other friends (Dale Hollow, Nolin, Rough, Ohio River, etc.)[/quote]

I am going to try to post photos (before/after) of cleaning the aluminum with the power stuff I mentioned.

Before - notice how dirty bottom of the boat is - this is after power washing and I couldn't get it off.
100_1222.jpg

This is after using the Power - it worked so easily I was amazed!
Dec302007003.jpg

Welcome aboard alumacraftjoe, that power stuff did an excellent job, let us see it when shes painted.

A paintjob will do wonders.....Here is my boat when I bought it and after I painted it.

BEFORE

100_3158.jpg

AFTER

100_3377.jpg

Yes it is. I bought the cheap 99 cent black spray paint from Home Depot. I cleaned the boat really good and sprayed it. Didn't take that long either. I was gonna spend a lot more on some blue metallic rustoleum but I figured it was gonna get beat up, and it did. And with the cheap stuff, I just spray over the scratches and I'm good to go!