Fuel gauge flops around like a dying fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
Hello! Quick question about my dash fuel gauge:

My dash mounted fuel gauge reads "full" just fine. But when the fuel level drops between "full" and "3/4", the gauge starts flopping around from "empty" to "full" due to the gas sloshing around in the tank. Is that how a marine gauge works, or should it be more like an automobile and read a steady amount even while the vehicle is in motion? It's just a little nerve wracking to look down while I'm running WOT and have the needle pinned on empty even for a split second. Thanks for the help.

Just my opinion here but I think it's going to depend a little bit on the placement of the tank and a lot on the construction of the tank. If it's got a good baffle design, it will prevent a lot of the sloshing. If it's an open tank, you're going to get lots of sloshing and very inaccurate readings whenever the boat is moving.

As long as it is not doing it when the boat is sitting still then yes it is normal. You could try one of these, they don't jump around.

www.centroidproducts.com

If you want to test, connect a Volt meter to ground and look at the Sending unit while the 'action' is on.
See if the Volt meter needle flops like your dash meter does.
Best to use an Analog (Meter with a Needle)

Make sure the Tank Ground is good!

I would be interested in what you find. My 95' Chevy's pick up gas gauge does this allso just as you discribe.

Latest posts