Gonna buy a new computer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new computer and am torn between a laptop or a traditional desktop style. The current one I have (emachines brand) is going on 4 yrs old and is about on it's last leg. My wife has the HP Pavillion Entertainment Notebook Dv7 and it's a pretty nice unit, and I've looked briefly at the new HP Touchsmart series (22" & 25.5" diagonal screens) https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/...nd&v1=HP+TouchSmart&series_name=IQ800t_series. Anyone heard or seen any bad reviews concerning the Touchsmart units?

Quackrstackr said:
I guess you could forget about eating ribs while surfing the net. :lol:

That's for sure, lol. Funny you should mention that, because my wife says the fingerprints on the screen (from normal use) will make me crazy, and I do believe she's right, lol. I'm thinking it's too much technology for me, but it's still kinda cool, lol.

"Beam me up, Scotty!"
crazy_face.gif

the touchscreens are cool... until they go bad.

I just bought Tiffany an HP dv5 series.. beefed it up with Vista ulitmate, 4gb ram, and a fast processor (can't remember the number)... but that thing freaking blows my laptop outta the water.

I would say go laptop if you've got a wireless connection. Even if you're desktop is on it's last leg, you can just use it as a network point - you can tap into each other's computer and then print wirelessly through the desktop.. I sit in front of the tv and play on here every night strecthed on on the recliner.. it doesn't get any better than this!

russ010 said:
the touchscreens are cool... until they go bad.

I just bought Tiffany an HP dv5 series.. beefed it up with Vista ulitmate, 4gb ram, and a fast processor (can't remember the number)... but that thing freaking blows my laptop outta the water.

I would say go laptop if you've got a wireless connection. Even if you're desktop is on it's last leg, you can just use it as a network point - you can tap into each other's computer and then print wirelessly through the desktop.. I sit in front of the tv and play on here every night strecthed on on the recliner.. it doesn't get any better than this!

Thanks for the heads-up concerning continued use of the desktop as a network point. We have a wireless router which we purchased when we got her new laptop. I'll certainly take a look at the Dv5 series, as we're pretty impressed with the Dv7 we bought her.

I just went through trying to use my employee discount at hp... I built the dv5z just like I did for tiffany to see what my price would be, but the dang thing told me they are not available. I don't know if it's my computer (firefox) or what.. I'll try it again at work on monday.. don't buy over the weekend, I may be able to hook you up with a couple hundred bucks off on certain models... and I know I have a 5% coupon, but it's in my work email

Appreciate it :) . Won't be buying over the weekend as I'm waiting for my tax return (finally had our taxes done today), so it may be a couple of weeks. In looking at new computers, also wanting something with a larger screen than the 15" one on this machine I'm using. I've kinda gotten addicted to the 17" of my wife's Dv7, lol. May even go with the Dv7 for myself.

I bought a new HP desktop a month ago. There happened to be an HP rep in the store that day. he aksed me and my Lady a buch of questions since we couldnt decide between desktop and laptop. We decided we were going to need two computers. A desktop for me since Im never going to need to be mobile, want a wicked fast machine and I LOVE having two large screens. She wants a lap top since she is headed back to Grad school soon. I found the laptop screens too small for my liking and the extra cost for a larger unit wasnt worth it. even the cheap desktops come with a 19" flat screen.

BTW, the HP rep told us "you dont want one of those" and pointed to the touchsmart unit.

shizzy77 said:
BTW, the HP rep told us "you dont want one of those" and pointed to the touchsmart unit.

If anybody reading this wants a touchscreen, look at the Toshiba models.. that's the one I had with my piece of equipment in the military and if it can go where we went and went through the stuff we did - it's pretty good. I think it was the Toshiba Toughbook.

i dont need anything fancy for my forums usage

but i did get a acer aspire 5515 at walmart for 350.00 2 weeks ago, so far running smoothly even after downloading firefox, google earth, messenger and a bunch of other programs that I use

Several of us have Acers and they a great machine for the money. Sure maybe pay more for more memory and a name brand but whats wrong with a lesser model?? they work just as good

My brother and I have Dell... He has the XPS420 Desktop and I have the Studio 17 Laptop.

My specs are -

Color- Midnight Blue w/ platinum trim

Intel Pentium Dual Core, 2.20ghz per core.
250gb sata hard drive w/free fall sensor.
3gb ddr2 ram.
Windows Vista Ultimate.
8x DVD-R CD-R burner.
256mb ATI Radeon Graphics card.
WiFi (not sure what kind haha)
Logitech Wireless Mouse (Matches laptop color)
Sound Blaster Audigy sound card.
17" Glossy LCD High Definition screen.
3 year return to depot warranty and 36 months full McAfee Protection.

n1020320760302673432304cr5.jpg

n1020320760302673391164wb5.jpg

n1020320760302673401466ho2.jpg

n1020320760302673411733is1.jpg

n1020320760302673422015ga2.jpg

Nice laptop! Still haven't decided what to get yet. Today we went to get a new dishwasher (not delivered until next week). The one we have now is the original that came with the house which was built in '87. We've lived here 13 years and the current dishwasher just isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Waterwings said:
Nice laptop! Still haven't decided what to get yet. Today we went to get a new dishwasher (not delivered until next week). The one we have now is the original that came with the house which was built in '87. We've lived here 13 years and the current dishwasher just isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Thanks alot! Reason why I chose a Dell is because My brother was treated very well by the customer service reps when he had a problem with his processor. He sent it back with no questions asked and got a new one. I had a problem with one of my windows updates that screwed up my operating system and I couldn't log on and I called them and the guy was a big help. I had to re-install Windows Vista. I haven't had a problem since. Congrats on your new dishwasher! :beer:

XP is a great operating system. I feel that with Vista, all the USB compatible accessories ie. digital camera, wireless mouse and others don't need installation disks.

Also my laptop has a built in 2 megapixel webcam, 4 high speed USB ports, Port for portable hard drive and an SD MMC card slot. I am gonna get the Navionics DVD where I can upload maps and stuff.

Why not build one? Components are dirt cheap right now, especially memory, dual core processors and DX9 video cards. If your optical and disk drives are okay in your present machine, just re-use them to save money. You'll have a better machine than you can buy (for the same money), and it's insanely simple. A great place to buy components, and to do research, is here:

https://www.newegg.com/

I built a dual core machine a year ago and saved hundreds; that same machine today would cost even less with the component prices I've seen lately. As for an operating system, I agree with Salmon_Slayer: XP is a stable, mature OS. Vista is kinda scary - I hope MS supports XP for a long, long time.

Well, my wife surprised me yesterday. We went to the grocery store to pickup a couple things, and she said "Lets stop by and look at computers again". So we go by the store, and I'm looking around and she's talking to the clerk out of my ear-shot. She comes over and tells me "I just bought you a new computer". She ord'd me the HP TouchSmart IQ524 T6400 (22" screen). I know we had svereal discussions on here about that type, but I wasn't gonna tell her to stop the order. It's supposed to be here Tuesday and I pick it up at the store. I'll keep you informed! :)

Waterwings said:
Well, my wife surprised me yesterday. We went to the grocery store to pickup a couple things, and she said "Lets stop by and look at computers again". So we go by the store, and I'm looking around and she's talking to the clerk out of my ear-shot. She comes over and tells me "I just bought you a new computer". She ord'd me the HP TouchSmart IQ524 T6400 (22" screen). I know we had svereal discussions on here about that type, but I wasn't gonna tell her to stop the order. It's supposed to be here Tuesday and I pick it up at the store. I'll keep you informed! :)
HP makes some decent gear. My ex just surprised our daughter with a new HP laptop (don't know the model) and I had to set it up for her and transfer all her data from the laptop she'd been using the last 3.5 years of college. Vista has some neat features and some PITA things I could live without and my daughter says it's nice that it has a big widescreen, but it's too **** heavy to carry around for classes. She said she liked her little Dell Inspiron better for portability but that the HP "works" as a portable and is a good desktop PC substitute that you can move around the house or office easily.

Latest posts