Got a new pellet gun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanielrthomas

Reaction score
So I have a few stray cats that decided to make scratching posts out of my new Tempress boat seats. That pissed me off. Then to top it all off, I opened my back hatch on my new CR-V last week to put in my suitcase for Christmas vacation, went in the house to get my luggage, and when I came back out, the cat was in my honda. As soon as the little turd seen me, it jumped over the back seat and proceeded to spaz out like a screaming banshee in the interior. No windows were open, so it just jumped into the glass repetitively, scrtatching my leather in the process. That pissed me off worse.

This little episode later ended up with me lashing out at bassboy in another post....Sorry bassboy :oops:

So I called animal control,looking for a more humane method than my 410, and they said I had to trap the cats and bring them in. I call BS. Resorted to the shotgun, but then thought about the crime rate in Memphis and how shooting a shotgun in city limits probably wouldnt go over to well with the Boys in Blue. So I found my solution.

Went down to bass pro and picked up a Gamo Big Cat 1200. Thought the name was appropriate :LOL2: This thing is a beast... 1200 feet per second, and I was getting quarter sized groups at 20 yards. With the military discount it was less than $120 out the door. Sure beats my old daisy pump. Sorry to all the cat lovers in advance....

Any of you guys ever dabbled in the world of high powered pellet guns?

I google imaged the pic..

Attachments

• snow001.jpg
    snow001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,237
Nice gun.. I have been wanting one for a long time...for unwanted guests at the birdfeeders...as for cats ..all I will say is be carefull....I would think there are laws against shooting cats ..

Outdoorsman

We had a neighbor who let their big tom cat roam around the neighborhood kicking *** on all the other cats. Our cat never laves our backyard but once got beat up by this tom on one of his neighborhood cruises. After three trips to the vet and $900 later I decided to take matters into my own hands. A raccoon trap and a can of tuna later and the big tom was mine. After a brief (and unsuccessful) swimming lesson the problem was solved. You can argue it's not the cat's fault but if you can't find the cause (rude neighbors) then you eliminate the symptoms. Cat (pet) lovers take care of their animals and don't subject the neighborhood to bullying animals or steamers in other people's yards. Love your animals? Then take care of them or others will do it for you...

Nice gun, when I was a kid I had a pump that if I recall was pretty close to 800-1000fps, that thing was a bb gun but it had alot of power, at point blank it would shoot into the top of a commercial can of syrup and peaches and dent the bottomside. Nowdays pests are dispached with my .17 HMR (not in town of course), 2500 fps, shoots quater size groups at 150 yds, and sounds like a blackcat.
I would be sure your careful, I would hate to get cruelty toward animals or something silly, over a pest control matter.

Thanks for the warnings guys. Ive already got the green light from the immediate neighbors, as they have the same problems. I have a 95 year old lady that lives next door and she absolutely hates them. They hide and sleep in her carport and scare her when she comes outside. Id hate for her to trip and fall because of one of them, or even worse, have a heart attack. They have become a real problem in the neighborhood with getting into trash too. To be honest, the only thing Im pondering now is a taking a head shot or should I aim for some arteries... The pellets will go straight through(in and out) a squirrel. I guess it all depends on the size of the cat...

This is a warning about shooting cats. Shooting a cat is not like shooting squirrels or rabbits. They seem to have nerves that kick in when shot and start flopping/jumping around like crazy. Do not shoot them if they are in something you do not want blood and scratches all over. The best thing is to get them in a cage first. That will contain the mess to a minimum. BTW I am a cat lover, honest.

KMixson said:
This is a warning about shooting cats. Shooting a cat is not like shooting squirrels or rabbits. They seem to have nerves that kick in when shot and start flopping/jumping around like crazy. Do not shoot them if they are in something you do not want blood and scratches all over. The best thing is to get them in a cage first. That will contain the mess to a minimum. BTW I am a cat lover, honest.

:LMFAO: Im a cat lover too, but Id shoot my girlfriend with a pellet gun if she jacked up my boat seats.

SSS. Shoot, shovel, shut up. :lol:

My Benjamin Sheridan is enough for squirrels, and coons and possums if you're close enough to get a pellet in their brain. I hear cats can perform some acrobatics if your first shot isn't in their ear hole.

This possum took about 5 pellets from 30 yards before he climbed down the tree. I had to track him to a creek, hence the mud. A Gamo would be nice if I had the change to drop on a pellet gun.
73196_459115758584_603873584_5542955_1047778_n.jpg

I have one just like yours. Have used it to hunt squirrels and cardinal catchers.Just trying to keep cat lovers at bay.

one shot, one kill, make it count, LOL. Don't blame you for being whizzed off. good hunting.

KMixson said:
This is a warning about shooting cats. Shooting a cat is not like shooting squirrels or rabbits. They seem to have nerves that kick in when shot and start flopping/jumping around like crazy.

They run about 20 yards sideways and tip over if you hit them in or right behind the shoulder.. so I've heard. :-

I've got a 1000 fps Winchester with a 3x9 scope on it. It will wear a squirrel or starling out at 40 yards.

I have a Daisy PowerLine that is a great gun. 1000 fps. as I have a huge garden and the squirrels love to come for dinner. I needed at least 1000fps. 2 years ago I scored on 17 of those little rats. last year the population must have droped because I only got 7..Problem is as a kid on the farm we ate and enjoyed our squirels fried in an Iron skillet...Wife won't have me cook that sort of thing in the house. I guess I'll just have to fire up the grill next spring. Enjoy your new gun but if you live in an area where people will report you, the law here in Mo. says I can use the pellet gun as long as that which I am shooting is in season...I'm gonna have to check about the cat season
ron

nathanielrthomas said:
russ010 said:
head shot... better to kill it and get rid of it immediately. Leave no evidence....

I like your attitude Russ, but you seem all too familiar with a situation like this... :LOL2:

I LOVE any cat that acts like a good dog - lays at your feet and shuts up.

I do have 2 cats in the house, but they don't go outside because I told Tiffany if they are going to stay inside, their claws are coming off. So, I have 2 cats with 8 clawless feet!

I also like any cat that doesn't..
1 - get on a vehicle and leave it's grimy little paw prints every where
2 - sprays
3 - meows NON STOP (which is odd because our Siamese swears he's a dog and has an IRRITATING meow and won't shut up until you feed him... kinda like my sheperd Kodiak)
4 - brings fleas into my yard
5 - think it has to get nookie at 2am when I'm finally falling asleep

Other than that, I like cats and will leave them alone. Otherwise they become target practice. And yes... if you don't get an earhole shot, they can flip about 10 times in the air that would make an olympic gymnast look like me on parallel bars

Good for you Russ - wish more cat owners were as responsible. Cats are killers, pure and simple, the can destroy the local wildlife very quickly, especially reptiles, amphibians and birds. Any ground laying bird is especially susceptible, things like ducks, geese etc.

Not the cats fault - it is in their genes, but until I am allowed to shoot the owners. . . . .