Got a new pellet gun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never like cats, nor do I like cat owners who let their cats roam. If I have to keep my dog on a leash, why not cat owners?

If anyone is looking for a less lethal way of getting rid of cats, I hear if you wait till winter you can find their prefered path of travel through your yard. Then I hear if you make a snare out of heavy mono, place it along the tracks and tie the end to empty beer cans, those cans will chase that cat traveling mach 2 down the alley. I also hear that cat won't come back to your yard.

pharaoh2 said:
I never like cats, nor do I like cat owners who let their cats roam. If I have to keep my dog on a leash, why not cat owners?

If anyone is looking for a less lethal way of getting rid of cats, I hear if you wait till winter you can find their prefered path of travel through your yard. Then I hear if you make a snare out of heavy mono, place it along the tracks and tie the end to empty beer cans, those cans will chase that cat traveling mach 2 down the alley. I also hear that cat won't come back to your yard.

:LOL2: That is an awesome idea. As much as I would love to see that, a "less lethal" approach isnt really one my concerns after seeing holes in my new boat seats.

On a good note, I got one last night. You guys werent lying about the acrobatics..

I have been outside with my lab (leash clipped on but rubberbanded under her neck, so shoot me for being a smarta$$) and low and behold up drives animal inforcement after being called about a dog not on the leash. I point out that my dog who is sound asleep doing the rabbit chasing thing does indeed have her leash on. Meanwhile neighbors big tomcat comes strolling through my yard (same neighbor who probably called animal control on me) and I demand the animal be captured as it is not tagged.

So animal ccontrol officer begrudgingly captures cat and gives me a warning for not having control of my 9 year old sleeping lab. I point out the owner of the cat and he goes to there house. He writes them a warning and the lady tells the officer it is there outside cat as her husband is allergic to cats. This was when i was asked to leave by the officer. He comes back over to talk to me about the cat allegedly coming home pink (as in paintballs) and I told him there was kids all over the neighborhood. About that time here comes the cat into my yard again. I just chuckle as my lab is still asleep. he captures the cat a second time this time not returning it to the owner.

Hated it for the cat but an outside cat cannot be contained to the yard like a dog. I am not a proponent of dealing with cats in this manner but when pet owners do not do their jobs then sometimes animals disappear!

brmurray said:
I am not a proponent of dealing with cats in this manner but when pet owners do not do their jobs then sometimes animals disappear!

he he he... :-({|=

So, back to the new air rifle. Nate, it the one you got pretty quiet? I have noted in another post that I have a special relationship with the squirrels in my neighborhood. Some are getting trap-shy so I'm thinking to up the ante. I have a clear shot from an upstairs window to where the furry little vermin are robbing the bird feeders. It seems like a leisurely hour with an air rifle and I'd be free of the problem (until a hundred others move in to take their place). I don't want to spend too much on the gun but it has to be relatively quiet and able to the job at about 15 yards.

Here's my solution to any cat stupid enough to jump over the fence in my back yard :) He looks viscous but that was his 5th lap around the backyard at about 35mph. We have 5 hounds and they do love cats and squirrels, but totally ignore the inside cat.

jimbo-zooming.jpg

bobberboy said:
So, back to the new air rifle. Nate, it the one you got pretty quiet? I have noted in another post that I have a special relationship with the squirrels in my neighborhood. Some are getting trap-shy so I'm thinking to up the ante. I have a clear shot from an upstairs window to where the furry little vermin are robbing the bird feeders. It seems like a leisurely hour with an air rifle and I'd be free of the problem (until a hundred others move in to take their place). I don't want to spend too much on the gun but it has to be relatively quiet and able to the job at about 15 yards.

Well it really depends on what you think is quite. Its not a 22 rifle, but its also not a red rider. I would think that you would be ok. When I shoot mine outdoors, you cant hear it indoors. I shoot mine in my little neighborhood, but then again, I live in Memphis, so its not uncommon to hear about a dozen 9mm rounds go off.

For around $200 you can get a Gamo with a compensator/silencer that is supposed to cut the noise by over 50%. I still dont think its possible to get it as quite as an old daisy tho. I talked to the guy at Bass pro, and he told me the mechanics are all the same on the Gamos that shoot 1000/1200fps, its just that some have more bells and whistles.

Once you get it sighted in, ithere shouldnt be no more than a couple shots when "pest control" is needed. I really dont see anyone getting pissed over a couple shots from a pellet gun. But it does take about 30 shots to get it sighted in tho.

The gamo whisper isn't much quiter then the big cat 1200, Shooting a heavy pellet helps alot with sound. I prefer to shoot beeman kodiak extra heavy match pellets out of my big cat. At 30 yards I am still able to keep all but a very few of my groups in under a inch. I cant say I know how well they would be for cat use. Squirrels don't stand a chance to em. I have had my big cat for a few years and killed loads of squirrels with it. The factory trigger is crap and the optics that came on mine were trash. The trigger is a easy fix however, Just take the factory adjustment screw out and place a longer one in its place and tune till you get her just right.

I got a whisper for Christmas. I love it, I was like a little kid again when I tagged my first squirrel with it. Those dern squirrels took a walk on my angry side and pushed it too far. I tried to be a nice guy and lob some bb's at them with the boy's red rider, but they just wouldn't take the hint. Funny, I hardly see them anymore now. :mrgreen:

I too gave myself a whisper for chirstmas two years ago but have since loaned it long term to my father. Just wait Angry Bob, Your back yard will soon change for the worse or better depending on how you look at it. Once you kill all the suckers out for a while food stocks for the things will build up and next thing you know you have twice as many. And they are like zombies, it starts with one or two and by end of summer they will be coming in hordes. I love squirrels, there fun to shoot and tasty. :D