Got me a new rod!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
So since i've started musky fishing, I've been wanting a heavier rod for throwing my really big, hard pulling baits. In the musky world, last year there was a new rod that came out that everyone was raving about. It's made by Okuma, and its their EVx Musky series rods in an 8'6" XH rated for 4-12ounces. There were alot of good reviews about this rod, but one thing I kept noticing is that most were describing this rod with more of a moderate action, rather than fast...which i'm not too crazy about. So I kept on the lookout for other rods along these lines, but kept coming back to these Okumas. Well, this year they came out with a new rod...8'6" XXH...rated for 4-16ounces. From what I understand, its basically the previous years XH with a faster tip....which sounded perfect for me.

So I happen to be talking to one of my buddies online one day and he said he had a 15% off discount code from this place(https://www.hookeduptackle.com) I noticed that sold these Okuma rods. These rods retail for $119.99, and this place offers free shipping over $50 bucks, so with that discount, that put this rod at $101.99 bucks to my door. I was abit nervous because I had never ordered a rod online, much less one I had personally never felt before, but with the great reviews I was reading about on this rod, a lifetime warranty to go with it, and the great price...I pulled the trigger on it.

Well, I got home yesterday with it waiting for me at the door...SWEET! I must say I am extremely happy with this rod. The action is perfect for what I was wanting, really nice fast tip, plenty heavy for throwing, retrieving, and figure 8'ing these specific big hard pulling musky baits. One neat feature on these rods is that it telescopes down(into the handle) to a 7ft rod...which is nice for handling it when not on the boat. It is abit heavier the some of the higher dollar musky rods I think, but the quality is still there, and a lifetime warranty to boot. So anyways, I am really happy with this rod. So for anyone that may be thinking about getting into musky fishing, or thats already in it looking for possibly a new rod, I would really recommend these rods. For the price, I don't think you could beat them. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these rods, and may look into another one someday.

PS. I am gonna be trying it out tomorrow on the water, so hopefully i'll be able to tell you how it feels with a fish on the other end of it! :mrgreen: :beer:

thats a long rod. you should have a blast throwing out big ole mag bulldogs with that. I am using a heavy 6'3" this year and plan to go to an extra heavy 7'+ next year. Possibly a new reel too. When I throw out stuff like bulldogs and big heavy storm thunder lures sometimes it doesn't engage properly. I will rebuild it this winter and see how it works.

So, last weekend when I was out my Abu Garcia caster was giving me a fit. The gears where squealing and I had to keep dipping it in the lake to get through the day. I took it apart for a clean and lube today then after I decided to do the same to my pair of Okuma casters. Then I recalled you picked up a Okuma Muskie stick and I thought I would pop in to see how you liked it. So, still in love with it. I was thinking about a Gander Mtn. Extra Heavy 8' stick but I am thinking about picking up one of these now. Would you get another still? What reel do you have on it. I was thinking about another Abu Garcia since a 6000 series with a line out alarm is pretty cheap and the alarm works great for sucker minnows or when I am trolling a bulldog in the propwash. But I only need one with an alarm so I was thinking about looking at the Okuma Induron 400LX to put on the Okuma stick.

danmyersmn said:
So, last weekend when I was out my Abu Garcia caster was giving me a fit. The gears where squealing and I had to keep dipping it in the lake to get through the day. I took it apart for a clean and lube today then after I decided to do the same to my pair of Okuma casters. Then I recalled you picked up a Okuma Muskie stick and I thought I would pop in to see how you liked it. So, still in love with it. I was thinking about a Gander Mtn. Extra Heavy 8' stick but I am thinking about picking up one of these now. Would you get another still? What reel do you have on it. I was thinking about another Abu Garcia since a 6000 series with a line out alarm is pretty cheap and the alarm works great for sucker minnows or when I am trolling a bulldog in the propwash. But I only need one with an alarm so I was thinking about looking at the Okuma Induron 400LX to put on the Okuma stick.

I love it! They are abit tip heavy, but i'm looking into getting a balancer to go on the butt end of the rod to fix that. I have a 6500 C3 Abu on mine at the moment, but am gonna be looking into another reel sometime. I would like to get one of those Okuma Indurons, but unfortunately Okuma no longer offers those...although if you act quick, you may snatch one up from someones old stock they have left. For me though, I'll probably end up with a Pflueger Trion 66....supposed to be really nice reels for the money, and they only run right around $100 bucks. Just kinda wanting to try something abit different from the Abu's.

For these rods though, I don't think you can beat them for the money. The lifetime warranty is a big thing to me as well...hard to find that in a rod in this price range...most have a 5yr at best.

I did have one issue with the first rod I ordered, the tip turned out to be loose....which is a problem I think they did have with one "batch" of rods that were made, but they were quick to take care of it and send me a new one. They even let my buddy buy that rod(with the loose tip) from them for a discounted price, so I didn't have to mess with sending it back to them. Really good customer service.

Too bad its tip heavy. I like a nice balanced rod and I think at the $100 point it should be balanced. I have my reel sitting here right now. Its a 6501 C3. so its probably the exact same reel as you have except in lefty model. I think the "Induron" is replaced by the "chromer".

danmyersmn said:
I think the "Induron" is replaced by the "chromer".

Actually, The induron was replaced by the "Akena"...same exact insides, it just uses a cast casing instead of a machined casing.

Bubba said:
danmyersmn said:
I think the "Induron" is replaced by the "chromer".

Actually, The induron was replaced by the "Akena"...same exact insides, it just uses a cast casing instead of a machined casing.
....and without a left model :? :( .

I took my Abu 6501 apart again tonight and I think I finally got is squared away. I think the bearing on the inside of the white gear assembly was not getting enough oil in it. I took everything apart. It was either that or the composite washers that make up the drag system. They also appeared to be pretty dry. Either way, if it came apart this time I took it apart for cleaning and lube.

I also was at Cabelas today for my weekly tour through the bargain gave to see what items I shouldn't buy today, what items I should carry around for a bit and then put back and what items I just have to buy now #-o

I still have not picked out the Extra Heavy pole I am going to buy but I am confident I know what reel I am putting on it.

Abu Record RCN61HC.
37c7f3dd0bd2f3a336ca5d80dfd751f3.jpg

I liked the way this felt better then a new 6501, better then a Calcutta TE and the Corvalus went back on the display as soon as I touched it. I just didn't like it.

They had a Abu 7000i in the bargain cave for $80.
80b777dd8764e5baaf2be4986ba608d3.jpg

Almost made me want to try learning that right handed stuff. ;)

danmyersmn said:
Abu Record RCN61HC.
37c7f3dd0bd2f3a336ca5d80dfd751f3.jpg

I liked the way this felt better then a new 6501, better then a Calcutta TE and the Corvalus went back on the display as soon as I touched it. I just didn't like it.

They had a Abu 7000i in the bargain cave for $80.
80b777dd8764e5baaf2be4986ba608d3.jpg

Feel free to pick me up either of those while your at it. :mrgreen:

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
I got a Abu Garcia C5 5600 Mag-x from Cabela's, you should check em out. My brother has 1 too and no issues with it.

It does not look like they make that one in a left hand model.

I was looking at the poles at Gander Mtn. last night. St. Croix Legend, St. Croix Triumph, all 3 Gander Mtn. Models and a two from smaller outfits I wish someone carried that Okuma locally so I could put my paws on it.

Latest posts