Gregor 15' help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtornai1

Reaction score
Hi I have just bought a 1972 Gregor 15' boat. It has a side console and a 1999 25 hp Mercury bigfoot on it... My question is what is this not rated for is this motor too heavy? It has no stamp on it that says the max capacity weight go etc. also can't figure out what model! Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

It depends on how wide your boat is also. In the motors forum there is a thread with the formula for figuring max hp, and to be honest 25 doesn't sound too out of line on a wider 15 foot boat, unless it's a super narrow body, but since you said it has a console I'm going to assume 25 is ok. I'd check the formula and see how close you are according to that.

It's not a narrow boat... I don't know off hand how wide but it's not very narrow ... Thanks for your help

Tallpine said:
Yes, very nice setup! I would be tickled with that.
Thanks it is perfect and hauls *** but she leaks and it's really hard to w of the cracks cause the previous over dumped a bunch of sealant on em! Got her welded up to a really slow drip though!

That's a nice rig! Shouldn't be a problem at all with a 25hp.

Where were the leaks and how did you / are you handling them?

Post up some more pics.

Skiffing said:
That's a nice rig! Shouldn't be a problem at all with a 25hp.

Where were the leaks and how did you / are you handling them?

Post up some more pics.
Cracks along the bottom seam of the transom and we welded em also a couple cracks on th right side towards the middle of the boat and welded em all up.... Hard to weld the cracks in the transome bale cause the previous owner put a bunch of sealant all over the place and we couldn't get the alluminum clean enough for the weld so it was tough and not pretty but we got it done

Assuming it's a welded Gregor here. Which brings up the old debate about what's better, welded or riveted. Truth is any time you join 2 pieces of metal together, welded or riveted, you run into failure at that joint given enough stress. It's a lot easier for the average guy to fix a leaky rivet than weld a crack. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a welded boat. Gregor's are great boats. I just want people to know when they buy a used boat, welded doesn't mean there won't be problems like leaks.

Tallpine said:
Assuming it's a welded Gregor here. Which brings up the old debate about what's better, welded or riveted. Truth is any time you join 2 pieces of metal together, welded or riveted, you run into failure at that joint given enough stress. It's a lot easier for the average guy to fix a leaky rivet than weld a crack. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a welded boat. Gregor's are great boats. I just want people to know when they buy a used boat, welded doesn't mean there won't be problems like leaks.
I understood there were leaks when I baught it I payed for the motor pretty much.... My step brother welds alluminum for a living so I had him do it... The only reason it was hard to weld is because it didn't want to penetrate the alluminum because of how dirty it was from the old sealant that had gobbed on it

Latest posts